1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you. I'm a Florida resident with a carry permit which is good in around 30 states, but not Kalifornia. (Surprise! Surprise!) I am also a retired commanding officer of a northeastern sheriff's department so I have the HR218 qualification that allows retired LEOs to carry concealed anywhere in the USA, Puerto Rico and Guam. I'm planning to visit Kalifornia and my usual carry gun is not on their approved list of handguns. It does not carry even 10 rounds of ammo but, do I have to buy an approved gun to carry as a legal non resident?

Maybe I'll just take my slingshot? :scratch:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't ask, don't tell....... :)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
make sure your slingshot is on the approved list. if it stretches more than 12 inches it probably not approved. also use only organic rocks. keep the tree huggers happy

·
Registered
219 Posts
It pains me to even think about going without one, but the last place I would take a gun as a non-resident is California. For the life of me, I can't remember where, but I read just the other day about a cop arresting another cop for such a thing. IMO, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great responses guys! Thanks. StraitR, you probably don't know about HR218, but it's federal law permitting qualified retired officers to carry anywhere. I'm just curious about the specific gun. I know that in Taxachusetts they specifically exempt out of state officers on a 218 card from the banned gun list. If THEY do, one would think everyone would.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If a person with carry permit residing in CA has a gun that is registered to him - but not on the approved list for out of state purchase - he can legally carry that gun. I would imagine the same to be true for 218s - but a call to the CA State Police would be judicious.

Have a good vacation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Great responses guys! Thanks. StraitR, you probably don't know about HR218, but it's federal law permitting qualified retired officers to carry anywhere. I'm just curious about the specific gun. I know that in Taxachusetts they specifically exempt out of state officers on a 218 card from the banned gun list. If THEY do, one would think everyone would.
DepOne, with many, many LEO friends, one of which does local HR218 range quals, I am familiar with it. That being said, the problem I see here, is that you're now attempting to use logic and reason to decipher CA gun laws. :p

As other posters have stated, if you're really determined to having the pistol with you, I would personally call the California DOJ and ask, TBH, I'm not sure would even feel comfortable with their answer as you're only data point to make the decision.

Do you have any LEO connections, friends or otherwise, in CA that you can ask? Would the FOP be of any help? I have lived there on several occasions, in the military and and as a civilian contractor out in 29 Palms, and I simply would not risk it if just traveling there for a short period of time. I would sharpen up the situational awareness, and march on.

Best of luck brother.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Here's one for you. I'm a Florida resident with a carry permit which is good in around 30 states, but not Kalifornia. (Surprise! Surprise!) I am also a retired commanding officer of a northeastern sheriff's department so I have the HR218 qualification that allows retired LEOs to carry concealed anywhere in the USA, Puerto Rico and Guam. I'm planning to visit Kalifornia and my usual carry gun is not on their approved list of handguns. It does not carry even 10 rounds of ammo but, do I have to buy an approved gun to carry as a legal non resident?

Maybe I'll just take my slingshot? :scratch:
Hi, as a retired law enforcement officer you should be fine. The non roster pistol is a non issue unless you are selling it. Go to Calguns website. There is a LEO section. I seriously doubt any CA law enforcement officer will hassle you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with FrankinCA. The full name of the "approved list" you mention is the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale". It only pertains to the sale of handguns, not possession. Non-roster handguns can be owned/possessed, just no longer purchased (with some exceptions) in CA.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GREAT INFO! Thank all of you. I'm a 1911 guy but I figured I'd go low profile and caliber just to stay off the grid and take my Kimber Solo. I'm amazed it isn't on the approved list? Just keep in mind those of you from certain states, nothing is ever so bad that it can't get worse. God, I love living in Florida!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Bring the sling shot any ways. Those things are dangerous!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
GREAT INFO! Thank all of you. I'm a 1911 guy but I figured I'd go low profile and caliber just to stay off the grid and take my Kimber Solo. I'm amazed it isn't on the approved list? Just keep in mind those of you from certain states, nothing is ever so bad that it can't get worse. God, I love living in Florida!
I'm pretty sure that since the Kimber doesn't microstamp the brass it could not be approved.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You are fine to bring the Solo to CA.

Yes, CA gun laws suck. This is, however, a nice place to visit.

You probably wouldn't want to live here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As already mentioned, go to calguns.net Leo subforum and ask.

I live in this libtard state and that's where I go to get clarity about all things gun related.

Stay out of OT (off topic) unless you have a thick skin. Otherwise a great site with extremely knowledgeable people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts