1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen lots of threads about durability but I can't seem to find out what the finish on the slide is and what it is on the frame.

The frame is aluminum so I'd guess it is anodized but the slide is steel so the matte black is some kind of coating or metal coloration but what.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
It's a sprayed on coating on each. The earlier pre-Series II pistols had anodized aluminum, but not now.

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
My original series Pro Carry is a stainless steel slide with a clear anodized aluminum frame. The both were silver but did not look alike. I don't shoot it much because I prefer the balance of an all steel gun.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a sprayed on coating on each. The earlier pre-Series II pistols had anodized aluminum, but not now.
Interesting, I should be disappointed that the aluminum frame is anot anodized but it actually may work to my benefit.

I bought a Pro Carry II here in So Cal and the matte black is what they had in stock and on sale. The black finish is fine but I like the two tone look and want to have the frame refinished in either a silver tone or possibly a light tan.

If it's a spray on coating chances are it can be removed and then another finish applied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts