1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum but not to guns or shooting.
I have a question about witch would have the most recoil a Kimber pro ll with 4 In barrel or a Sig P220 as I have gotten older I find recoil hurts more therefor I am moving away from my .40S&W and back to the .45acp. I think a ultra with a 3in barrel would be to much though I really like the gun.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Can't say that I can tell much of a difference between the two. I think, perhaps, the SIG has just a bit less recoil, but its really close.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I think you will find that the Sig P220 has a grip size that distributes the recoil over a somewhat larger area, thus has a bit less perceived recoil. I really like them with Hogue grip panels.

One other consideration is to get a Pro HD. The extra weight will offset the difference in grip panel size/shape.

I just hope the P227 is readily available SOON. I want to try the feel of one. ;)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
For a personal perspective, I'd have to answer on both sides of the fence. That's not a cop out. The deciding factor would be to ponder what I was doing with the pistol at the moment.

I had an early, two-tone, SIG P229 in SW .40 that a gun dealer had prepared for himself, including night sights. I was going through a .40 craze at that time, and handloaded every bullet, hollowpoint or cast, in every weight, in every scrounged piece of brass I could find.

Not only did that grip fit my hand like a pasta fork, but if I could see something, I could hit it. It was one of the best Sunday afternoon plinkin' guns I ever owned.

Now, when I carry a concealed pistol for defensive reasons, it's going to be a 1911. In fact, I'm looking for a melted, small frame Kimber right now.

I know myself, and I've found from several near misses on a motorcycle that I suffer from Tachypsyche syndrome. I have grabbed clutch levers and brakes with such hamfisted force I was a danger to myself. It took years to break myself of these deadly habits.

But I've never been in a gunfight. I told Tussey that when he perfected the action of my 1911s he could make them smooth and crisp, but he had to make the trigger and safety lever even stiffer. In fact, he used to make a small detent on the safety lever to make it harder to engage and disengage.

The problem was me--no combat experience and lots of adrenaline. To that, I have read that your finger movements become clumsy and imprecise. That's the last thing I need.

For busting cans and target shooting with friends give me that SIG. When I'm not at my best and defense is the issue, I carry a 1911 platform.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
FYI, he's got another thread also going, and he's already bought the Kimber. Seems there may have been some forum genies playing with the space-time continuum. :D

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
FYI, he's got another thread also going, and he's already bought the Kimber. Seems there may have been some forum genies playing with the space-time continuum.
But the premise is valid. Whether it's a toaster, a new pair of boots or a firearm, the ultimate use should be considered.

Granted, this gray hair has brought me enough disposable income to find a Gold Cup, send it to a premium custom gunsmith, and for far too much money I can have a pistol dedicated to punching paper. I even have some linotype semiwadcutter bullets for such a firearm.

But my current 1911 needs are defensive.

Both pistols of the same manufacturer, two very differing uses.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
But the premise is valid. Whether it's a toaster, a new pair of boots or a firearm, the ultimate use should be considered.

Granted, this gray hair has brought me enough disposable income to find a Gold Cup, send it to a premium custom gunsmith, and for far too much money I can have a pistol dedicated to punching paper. I even have some linotype semiwadcutter bullets for such a firearm.

But my current 1911 needs are defensive.

Both pistols of the same manufacturer, two very differing uses.
What? I think you either missed the point or quoted the wrong reply.

This is a duplicate and obsolete thread. That's it. The OP has at least 2 threads going and claims the dates were jacked up but nonetheless, he's already bought the gun. That was all. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts