1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at both the Pro Carry in stainless and the Compact in stainless. Any pro's or con's with either of these? Any experience on difference in felt recoil? The Pro Carry also has an HD model. Any reasons to go with the HD model over the normal Pro Carry? Thanks. Russell

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like the Compact, the short grip conceals better. Recoil isn't bad, not for me anyway. I've got the aluminum stainless, she's a beaut.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've got the SS/alloy Pro Carry.Good feel,light,good sight picture.The full size grip fits My hand best.For Me ,light weight is most important.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you get the Pro Carry, don't, and get the 5" instead!
I got the compact for concealed carry, even though I know many folks have no problem hiding a full-size frame.
Seems to me, though, if I do that, I have no excuse for losing the velocity and sight radius of the gov't model.

If you have big hands, it's an issue, but Mine are medium-to-large, and this little compact suits me great.
I only go 100 rounds per session, so it doesn't get a chance to wear me out.
(not sure it would.)

In short, the difference is only grip length and capacity.
Do you want it to hide better or shoot another round?

youngun

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Stainless Compact and love it. Recoil is very comfortable and I have found mine to be very accurate, as others have also told me about theirs. If you can go to a gun shop that has both and feel'em. Buy the one that you think best fits your hands. You won't be disapointed. Kimber's are nice sidearms.

Dennis

------------------
"......When they Pry My Cold Dead Fingers Away From It."

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'll log in on the side of the compact. If you're going to conceal, I beleive the shorter grip frame of the compact conceals better. I have fairly big hands and don't mind the grip of my stainless compact. It's a great gun.

RJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
ragceg,
My 2 cents. I was recently looking to fill the void between my Government and officers with a commander. I chose the Kimber Pro Carry HD. All Stainless top and bottom. Other posts on this site refered to Kimber saying the life expectancy of the Aluminum frame being in the 20k round range and the stainless being 100k range. I'm sure that there are people out there that have aluminum frames that have reached into the 50k+ range. I'm no expert when it comes to the minute differences between metals. I did my due diligence and made my decision and am very happy with it. Bottom line, what ever makes you happy is a good thing.

[This message has been edited by Andy J (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've built several short swords with Caspian Parts. The commander lower end is compatible with the officers top end. With Novack fixed sights and a Colt officers barrel, King recoil system and custom serial numbers, they make a nice carry gun that will hold the politically correct 10 rounds with an Eagle 9 round mag. I've been packing a 1911 for almost 50 years and have never had any problem concealing any of them. I like to use any 1911 mag in any gun. I would not have a stainless 1911 on my property. They have evil Mojo in them. I've also won every gunfight I've ever been in and I never used a 1911. I like 12 gauge shotguns for that kind of work.

[This message has been edited by Dave Sample (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would not have a stainless 1911 on my property. They have evil Mojo in them.
huh?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ragceg

I think a good question is what do you intend to do with your Kimber? Will it be just for casual target shooting, concealed carry, police duty, competition, or something else? What you are going to do may have a big impact on which frame you should get. Also, will this be your first 1911, or do you have one now?

If this is your first 1911, or if you will be using it for mostly casual target shooting, the advice on getting a full size (5") frame, is the right idea. Full size 1911s work better and are easier to lear to shoot well than the smaller sizes. My first 1911 was a Commander, and I should have gotten the Govt, for these reasons. Also, if you are going to carry occasionally, or participate in competition, the full size is the better choice. For most people the full size can be concealed just as easily as the Pro-Carry since the differences between them are in the slide. Also, for these uses the best choice in material is steel, blued or stainless. As steel will hold up to a lot of shooting much better than aluminum will.

Now if you are going to carry a lot, I would consider the Compact over the Pro-Carry, since it has the shorter grip, and the grip is what will be what causes a bulge in your shirt. Plus, it will be just enough lighter that you may avoid some pains after carrying for a long time. Though a good holster goes a long was in helping this.

To answer you question about perceived recoil, the best thing would be for you to shoot each of them, if there is a range nearby that will rent them to you. But to provide you with some information. Perceived recoil is based on the length of the slide, the grip length and the weight of the pistol. Recoil will seem snappier as the slide length gets shorter, plus it will be a bit more noticable, or less controlable, as the grip length gets shorter. Reducing the weight just adds to the preceived effect of any of the above, since there is less mass to be pushed around. Whether any of this matters to you, only you can say. So you really should try shooting each model if possible.

If you are only going to be able to have one, I suggest getting a steel frame to ensure it will stand up to a lot of shooting. Later get the aluminum frame if you still want one. Then carry the aluminum and practice with the steel frame.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Kevinch

The bad Mojo David was refering to is a type of corrosion known as gauling. This corrosion happens when two pieces of the same type of stainless are held close together. Basicly two pieces of stainless would prefer to be one piece, so they join together. Usually heat, pressure, friction, or moisture are needed to help this process along.

Gauling was a problem when stainless steel firearms were first introduced. Though this situation has pretty much been taken care of through the use of coatings, and using diffenent types of stainless for the slide, frame, and barrel. Another part of taking care of this situation is the manufacturers do not cut slides and frames to fit as tightly together as they do blued steel components. the differences are slight, so you won't notice a difference in shooting, but the stainless will not the way it did before.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts