1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While researching a quote that I was looking for I stumbled onto this site:
http://www.mgoa.com/GunRightsQuotes-1.htm

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms, everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes we need them every hour." - George Washington, Address to the Second Session, First United States Congress.
There are many other good ones there...

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Compare that to one of our present day statesmen:

Hillary Rodham Clinton offered her support for a legislative proposal to license hand guns. The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Charles Schumer, would require anyone who wants to purchase a gun to obtain a state-issued photo gun license. “I stand in support of this common sense legislation to license everyone who wishes to purchase a gun,” Clinton said. “I also believe that every new handgun sale or transfer should be registered in a national registry, such as Chuck is proposing.”
Source: CNN.com Jun 2, 2000

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Here's one of the quotes that puzzles me in light of what State's seem to be able to do:

"The claim and exercise of a Constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." - Miller v US, 230 F 2d 486, 489.

Does only refer to federal crimes and not state crimes?

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you Stephen, but judges and officials cannot be bothered with petty things such as constitutional rights...

I found this decision {from another site} that seems to echo your sentiments:

"The assertion of federal rights, when plainly and reasonably made, is not to be defeated under the name of local practice." Davis v. Wechsler, 263 US 22, at 24

·
Registered
556 Posts
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on themind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."
-- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria, as quoted by Thomas Jefferson's Commonplace book

1 - 5 of 5 Posts