1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy my first 1911. I've decided it's going to be a Springfield Armory mil-spec. Here's the thing. I don't know if I should go with the WWII, or the standard, or even spring for the stainless.
I intend to shoot it fairly regularly, but the fact that the WWII is about as close as I can get to what our officers carried in WWII is a good selling point especially considering the more than $100 (local shops are selling the WWII for $450 and the Mil-Spec for $560) price difference the WWII might be a good investment.
I don't reload, nor do I plan to start any time soon, and I'm not a remarkably good shot.
What do you guys think I should pick?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pick the best gun you can reasonably afford. You did not give us what you would use this pistol for, range, ccw, plinking ...etc.

not being a good shot is not a reason get a lessor pistol, if you practice you shoud improve.

I would say for historic reasons get the WWII model, for plinking or range get the MIL-SPEC model, for CCW get the mil-spec or loaded models. All of these could be had for +'- $300 of each other.

If you bet your life on a pistol, How much is that pistol worth?

·
Registered
427 Posts
For me, the lower GI sights work better for daily carry. They dig less into my body and snag less on things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go with what YOU like and to hell with everybody else!!!

I personally like the stock sights a lot better than even the Novak's, but that's just my opinion :D

Semper Fi, GySgt

·
Registered
183 Posts
Look at them all, pick the one you like best.
DaveG

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Another point regards whether you expect to do any modifications.

If not, I'd recommend SA's so-called "Mil-Spec", that is, the one which has the lowered ejection port and higher sights, rather than the WWII milspec (unless you want more of a "repro" gun),
since those original milspec sights aren't conducive to high accuracy, and the original ejection port dimensions may sometimes interfere with reliable ejection, as well as dinging up the ejected cases (the latter issue only being important to those who reload).

·
Registered
427 Posts
The dinging of cases on these is pretty much a non-issue. They don't chew up brass at all like some of the GI pistols I've used.

I've fired well over a thousand rounds without a hitch at all, ejected just fine every single time.

And my groups are one ragged hole and it hits milk jugs on the 50m berm.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Two weeks ago I bought both. I wanted to project the Mil-Spec and plink with the WWII. I like shooting the WW11 much better and Ive been carrying it. Buy a load of Wally Ammo and youll be a bullseye shooter with the hundred bucks you save
good luck choosing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I don't have a chance to handle either of the SA pistols. :( The shop didn't have either in stock, but gave me a price quote.
Whatever I get will spend most of its time locked in a gun case, and it's almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit in the state of maryland. :rolleyes: So, I don't have to worry about if a sight digs into my side. ;)
I could go either way on the looks. I do like the fact that WWII is about as close as you can get on a new gun to what our boys carried in WWII, but I still intend to shoot it as regularly as I shoot any pistol.
I'm sort of the starving college student. I work enough hours to cover my bills, and have very little spending money at the end of each month. So, the extra $100 is kind of a big deal for me right now. :( However, after this semester I only have one class left until I have my BS in Computer Science, from a decent hacking school. :) So, I hope to be making some decent money within the next six months. :D
Actually, right now, everything I own except for a Ruger 10/22 that my dad gave me for Christmas a few years ago is actually a C&R. I have a Sako M39, Walther P38 (the only pistol I own), and a Yugo SKS 66. It's rather funny that I own 3 rifles and one pistol, because I only know of one local rifle range, and of two local pistol ranges. The rifle range you have to be a member of their club, which I'm not as that requires scrounging $250 for the first year's membership fees, to use the range, and anyone can go in and shoot at the pistol ranges for less than $10/half hour.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Check out the mil-spec WW2 models on GunBrokers.com, I got mine there and the total with shipping and dealer transfer was $416.00. All the local dealers wanted up to $100 more so I said hell with that. I found a gun for $372.00 and emailed the guy and told him I would buy it if he cancelled the auction....which he did. Wouldnt hurt to haggle a little either with the dealer who listed the gun for sale.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If I planned to modify it towards a carry gun or target gun, I'd get the regular Mil-Spec to already have the lowered and flared ejection port.

If I planned to go retro, I'd get the WWII model for the higher port and straight slide serations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I've more or less decided on the WWII. All in all, I figured that it would be neat to have it in the collection to compare and contrast what different armies carried at the same period of time.
In this case, the 1911a1 versus the P-38. :) That, and it's an excuse to save about $100.
Then all I'll need is a K98, a Garand, an M1 Carbine.... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts