1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened that when I attempt access this forum, I get a message something like the following:

"Access Denied. The forum is using software to protect itself."

Then I can't view the forum. I gave up for several days, then tried again. Now it works like normal.

What does it mean that your software is protecting itself by not allowing me to have access to the forum?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I misspelled the title. Should have been: Problem Accessing The 1911 Forum.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Several times this AM the 1911 tab went nutso and declared a SIGSEGV error.

After suffering this awhile, I finally shutdown and restarted.. I dunno if the server was acting weird, the browser (Brave), or what. All in all, weird stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Several times this AM the 1911 tab went nutso and declared a SIGSEGV error.

After suffering this awhile, I finally shutdown and restarted.. I dunno if the server was acting weird, the browser (Brave), or what. All in all, weird stuff.
A segmentation violation ... At first blush, that reads as a buffer over-flow attack.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
I misspelled the title. Should have been: Problem Accessing The 1911 Forum.
BTW: thread titles can be changed by the O.P.'er. It's through the three-dot menu at the top of the thread.

Reactions: Tim Burke

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Norton does not play nice with Cloudflare security. If you get errors here regularly try to pick a location that is in the continental USA.
-Phiip
Your response makes no sense. I am in the states and have not stated otherwise. FY I, New Mexico has been one of the contiguous 48 states
since 1912.

·
Administrator
1,014 Posts
Your response makes no sense. I am in the states and have not stated otherwise. FY I, New Mexico has been one of the contiguous 48 states
since 1912.
If you use Norton and do not specify the location that it is saying you are in, it will pick random IPs that are often also used by bad actors. This will trigger the cloudflare security and block you from seeing the site. Cloudflare will assume you are not welcome based on the IP location. This is not a dig on your own geographical location, it's just a heads up on how security works here and how errors and false positives can be avoided.
-Philip

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you use Norton and do not specify the location that it is saying you are in, it will pick random IPs that are often also used by bad actors. This will trigger the cloudflare security and block you from seeing the site. Cloudflare will assume you are not welcome based on the IP location. This is not a dig on your own geographical location, it's just a heads up on how security works here and how errors and false positives can be avoided.
-Philip
OK, sorry 'bout the misunderstanding on my part. I was not aware how VPN's work. What you say explains a lot. If I get that error message again, I'll just turn off the VPN.
Thanks to all who replied.

·
Administrator
1,014 Posts
OK, sorry 'bout the misunderstanding on my part. I was not aware how VPN's work. What you say explains a lot. If I get that error message again, I'll just turn off the VPN.
Thanks to all who replied.
No trouble at all! I had a friend from New Mexico once detained at an airport in Florida over his state ID. The security agent was either illiterate or convinced New Mexico was indeed not a state. After I read about his encounter and him having to give a civics lesson. Your comments are 100% valid given the misunderstanding :). You can turn it off or you should be able to just pick a state so it wont bounce you around at random. Norton has a how-to somewhere on their support forum.
-Philip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts