1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added this part to my blued Series 80 OACP, along with a Wolf factory strength recoil spring. Now the slide locks back premanturely, usually on the next to the last round in the mag. This happens on every mag I shoot. I have tried three different mags, 2 Colt and one Wilsons with the same result. :scratch: My stainless OACP with the standard plug and the Wolf spring did this ONCE in 150 rounds with the new Wilson mag. Logic tells me that the problem is the Clark plug, but others on this forum have posted that this part works well (same with the spring). Any suggestions before I throw this part in the drawer?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Never had this happen to mine, but I'm using the stock recoil system with two springs. Tried this?

This is the closed end plug line this one?

-- Chuck

·
Registered
867 Posts
what size spring are you using? Did you try the plug with the old recoil spring set up? Try the single spring with the old plug to see what it really is. I have the same set up and have no problems.

·
Registered
867 Posts
just thought of something. If you have a commander put the commander slide on the OACP frame and see if the gun has the same problem. If it does it with the commander slide then it might be something else. good luck

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would suggest looking at the slide stop. The area which engages the the mag follower after the last round and holds the slide open. It seems to me that the last round is hitting the stop and enaging the slide stop early. If that is true the inside endge of the slide stop need to be thinned.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lougotzz said:
what size spring are you using? Did you try the plug with the old recoil spring set up? Try the single spring with the old plug to see what it really is. I have the same set up and have no problems.
I guess that is the next step in debugging this problem. Chuck S. I have the same plug as you have, closed end. That's what I get for introducing two variables at the same time.

Dave

·
Registered
189 Posts
i had a stainless officer's acp that had the same problem. when i replaced the stock plug with the wilson kit, which included a 24# recoil spring, i had numerous problems with FTF's. to make a long story short, it may be that some guns will be prone to feeding problems that weren't there with the stock recoil plug.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
edw794 said:
i had a stainless officer's acp that had the same problem. when i replaced the stock plug with the wilson kit, which included a 24# recoil spring, i had numerous problems with FTF's. to make a long story short, it may be that some guns will be prone to feeding problems that weren't there with the stock recoil plug.
I do understand that if one uses a recoil system like Wilsons, Brown, or Kings....you must make sure the slide is modified enough to allow full slide movement as per original specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts