1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
He stated that they would replace it after they tested the batch I'm sending back.
I'll be interested to hear what they tell you. I had 2 no-fires in the first box of these I shot. Both rounds fired on the second strike. The gun has had 500 rounds of a dozen other types of HP and FMJ ammo through it without issue.

I have 3 more boxes of the same lot in the ammo safe, and another 100 rounds on back order. I've replaced the CD in my carry gun with HST's until I hear more about this.

· Registered
73 Posts
As mentioned a while back in this thread, I had 2 rounds out of the first 10 rounds of a box of Critical Defense that did not go bang on the first strike with my Taurus PT-709. I've put more than a dozen other types of FMJ and JHP ammunition - more than 750 rounds - through this same gun with NO issues. Wolf, Golden Bear, Tula, Federal, Remington, Winchester, Speer, American Eagle, and PMC Bronze. Cheap ammo, premium ammo - NO OTHER FAILURE TO FIRE rounds with ANY of these EXCEPT the Critical Defense.

It ain't the gun. Or at least ONLY the gun. The 2 rounds that did not fire in my gun DID fire on the second strike in the same gun. I still have 6 boxes of CD in my safe. I'm going to keep shooting this stuff to see if I get any more no-fires. But I'm not going to count on it to save my life. I'm disappointed in the response that Excalibur got from Hornady - if they freely admit that they've had more of this ammo come back for the same issue than the other things they make, simple problem analysis says there's got to be an issue. But I guess I understand their position - admit an issue, and you've got probably hundreds of thousands of rounds at risk and no way to figure out which ones will fire and which ones won't unless you hit that primer with a firing pin. I've chosen not to be the lab rat. I'll stick to my Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot - I've never had a no-fire with either of these in ANY gun or in ANY caliber.

· Registered
73 Posts
And we argue in another thread if carrying reloads in a SDF is a bad idea or not...;)
Yeah - seems a bit ironic, doesn't it. I think we all expect factory loads to perform 100% of the time. Probably not very realistic considering the number of rounds produced. I've had the occasional round that does not fire, but the sum total of these in all guns is less than a couple hundredths of a percent of what I've shot. To have 20% of the first 10 rounds no-fire on the CD was either a monumental coincidence or there is some kind of issue with this ammo and SOME guns - my 709, Excalibur's CW-9, a Walther PPS on one forum, another one on the xD forum, etc., etc. It seems that a lot of the 'problem guns' are CC guns - the exact market that would seem to be targeted by Hornady for this ammunition. They are not doing themselves a favor by stonewalling the fact that there is SOMETHING going on here. Too many people with too many different guns for this to be a random occurrence. I've put some CD rounds through my M&P9FS with no issues. I'm shooting some of each different lot I have (3 lots in the 6 boxes). But for certain, I will not use this ammunition in my 709.

· Registered
73 Posts
I don't suppose you saved any of the light strikes to take some pictures of did you? I'd love to see the dimples on the primers.
Both rounds went bang on the second strike in the same gun (Taurus 709). I had shot several rounds of CD ahead of the two problem rounds, and I couldn't identify the problem rounds among ALL of the spent rounds (none of the rounds appeared to be different from the others). Actually, I do still have the spent cases, but I cannot identify the non-fires. I've looked at them with a magnifying glass, and have not even been able to see that these two rounds had a second strike - not a big surprise, though, as the 709 acts like a DA when you have a mis-fire and just hits the round with the striker again. You would think that if the first hit was a light strike that left an impression, the second strike would be even lighter. For this reason, and because I've run a dozen other ammo types through this gun without issue, I do not think the problem is with the gun. It may be a combination of the gun AND the ammo, but it's not the gun.

I have two other lots of 9mm CD that I will try - and I will keep close track of the brass to see if I can get some pics of the problem round if I have another no-fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.