1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. so today i wanted to load some 200 gr LSWC for a steel shoot this coming weekend.. Have one small problem.. can't get them to feed or even barrel check ok.. they wont seat all the way.

I started loading them at 1.263 thinking the length would help with feeding into the Dan Wesson Patriot Expert barrel.. Crimp is at .471.

It seems that If any portion of the base of the SWC is above the rim of the case it won't seat all the way in the chamber.. however this puts the bullet at a 1.227 OAL.. and to be honest i'm not sure that's to safe pressure wise..

Using 4.8grs. Win 231 with WLP mixed brass.

Actually this bullet seats but barely i think it actually needs to be shorter.. Compared to the RN plated bullets im using at the rim the size is .448 with a 1.260 OAL for the RN and it's .452 at the same length for the LSWC..

Is there anything i'm missing ? could the crimp be tighter ? would that make a difference ? 1.225 ?? safe not safe ?? could not find reference for how short I could go..

I know most of you won't have knowledge of the Dan Wesson 1911's.. but whatever you have suggestion wise would be nice.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Generally, most of the time the magic number for OAL with 200 LSWC seems to be 1.25". I generally have had great luck with 1.255". I would do a few batches with progressively shorter lengths and see what it takes to feed in your gun. It could possibly be something with the shape of the particular bullet you're using with your particular chamber. This combination might require you to go a little shorter then 1.25, but I believe you can safely do so if you work up your loads steadily from a starting load. It appears you need to experiment first with OAL and a decent starting load and then work up the powder charge once you have the OAL worked out.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oops....just saw the crimp of .471"

Should work, but you may wish to go down to about .469".

And, yes, I'm a fan of the Lee FCD to completely size the entire round. Best $10.00 ever spent in my now 20 years of reloading.

·
Registered
252 Posts
LSWC & OAL

Using reduced loads(4.2 grs Titegroup) I have gone as short as 1.218 oal in search of perfect feeding. I would not do this if using max charges but will try it with reduced or minimum loads.
Currently I am at 1.24 oal and 4.7 grs Titegroup for a velocity of 911 fps.
The .45 is a low pressure round and can in MY experience be loaded shorter but only with mid range or less loads. If you are striving for maximum velocity then stick to the listed oal.
Paul

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paul

thanks, i'm trying to get them to feed.. don't want max anything... actually would like them to be lighter loads..

:) just have an issue with the OAL i think at the moment. and the 4.8 of W231 is the starting load for 200 gr LSWC from Winchester.. till i can get them to feed at all..everything else is moot.. :)

thanks.

Jeff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, I haven't been able to get my Patriot to feed anything other than RN. It has a ramped barrel, and the rounds nosedive on the ramp and get stuck.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Had the same problem till I $$ Lee taper crimp die!

Probem solve!:)

208Gr H&G-68 OAL 1.240

5.3gr Win-231

·
Registered
21,968 Posts
Because if you are not, an OAL of 1.250" means nothing at all.

The traditional way to load .45 ACP SWC is to seat the bullet so that the shoulder is about .020" - .030" above the case mouth; taper crimp small enough to be sure there is no interference, and try it in the chamber, with barrel out of gun. The loaded round should drop freely into the chamber and position with the head of the case flush with the hood of the barrel. You are now headspacing with the bullet against the origin of the rifling, which will give uniform primer ignition, a straight bullet start, and the best chance for good accuracy. If the case head is NOT flush with the hood, adjust seating depth up or down to make the next sample fit. Since your powder charge is well below maximum, there is no danger of excessive pressure from a bullet seated as deep as this method will ever require or from its contact with the rifling. OAL only matters if everybody is comparing with the same bullet and if loads are at or near maximum. You have to adjust so your gun works. If you can't, try the Lee CFC die to iron out the loaded round. If that doesn't help you might have an undersize chamber. The makers like to advertise tight match chambers, even at the expense of reliability.

This method is sound and safe for lead bullets. Jacketed bullets should be seated according to data. I don't know about plated, I have not had real good luck with the plated SWCs that looks sort of like a #68 no matter what I did with them.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Jim W. brings up a good point I hadn't thought of. I did need to ream out a Kimber barrel once for consistent FTF problems. That, and an Aftec extractor, cured the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts