1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first received my 22 TCM pistol I experienced FTE on 80-90% of rounds fired. This is much more severe than reported elswhere. I examined my cases and noticed "bumps" on the cases. I then checked out the chamber wall and found that there were small voids on the wall of the chamber which matched the "bumps" on my cases. The case was expanding into these voids and would not extract. I too had to use a rod to drive out the spent case. I called Armscor/Rock Island and they authorized me to return the pistol for warranty service. I have received the pistol back (very good turn around time) and the return invoice/packing list stated that the barrel had been replaced and tested for reliability. I have fired 120 rounds with perfect function. All is good!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have not had an issue with FTE, but have had FTF issues. Sometimes, maybe 10% of the time, the round catches on the bottom of the feed ramp of the barrel. This, of course, indents the nose of the soft point, making it unusable.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Woodeye61 - two points: first, FTE's were common among early TCM users who didn't have the correct TCM-specific extractor installed (the pistol came with that and a 9mm extractor); second, I have had factory ammunition FTE due to the case swelling with discharge sufficiently to lock the slide up (required a rod down the barrel to dislodge). I had not heard of the "bumps" problems but should your pistol have a FTE again, check the cartridge cases for swelling. A growth of .005 was sufficient to cause my stoppage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not had an issue with FTE, but have had FTF issues. Sometimes, maybe 10% of the time, the round catches on the bottom of the feed ramp of the barrel. This, of course, indents the nose of the soft point, making it unusable.
I assume you are using the factory magazine. This sounds like a magazine problem. Are you using factory or reload ammo when you experience this FTF problem? In another post, you mentioned case bulges on your reloads. Is it possible these bulges are contacting the magazine lips and causing the cartridge to angle further down than the designed feed angle? If factory ammo, have you damaged the feed lips or is the spring not pushing the cartridge up sufficiently to the proper angle? This can happen especially with the top cartridges in a full magazine. I wouldn't throw away rounds with a slight ding to the lead tip - I find they are still acceptable for target practice at 15 yards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woodeye61 - two points: first, FTE's were common among early TCM users who didn't have the correct TCM-specific extractor installed (the pistol came with that and a 9mm extractor); second, I have had factory ammunition FTE due to the case swelling with discharge sufficiently to lock the slide up (required a rod down the barrel to dislodge). I had not heard of the "bumps" problems but should your pistol have a FTE again, check the cartridge cases for swelling. A growth of .005 was sufficient to cause my stoppage.
My TCM came with 2 extractors also. And, you are right, the case swelling forced the case to expand into the voids in the chamber wall which locked the case tightly into the chamber. Even after driving the case out with a rod you could still see the "bumps" on the case where it had been forced into the chamber wall voids. I did have the TCM extrator in the pistol. I have read that some have also used the TCM extractor successfully with 9mm rounds but not so on my pistol. Using the TCM extractor with 9mm rounds caused the slide to not go fully into battery which meant the trigger would not pull.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.
I'm highly considering a RIA 22TCM to be my next gun. Probally a Chritmas present to my self.I've been trying to hold back on any spending that way I can do it right from the get go.
Buy the pistol,100rds of factory ammo,a set of Hornady dies,2000 projectiles,500-1,000 pcs of new brass.I've already got some W-296 and H-110.

I'm excited about loading and shooting this gun. I passed on a 22tcm/9mm right before Sandy Hook and regret it.

I was looking on thier site awhile back and seen a full sized railed version of the 22TCM.is this gun been available or a myth as of yet? With the recent disaster over there it will probally affect avalibilty and possibly prices. I need to grab one soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I assume you are using the factory magazine. This sounds like a magazine problem. Are you using factory or reload ammo when you experience this FTF problem? In another post, you mentioned case bulges on your reloads. Is it possible these bulges are contacting the magazine lips and causing the cartridge to angle further down than the designed feed angle? If factory ammo, have you damaged the feed lips or is the spring not pushing the cartridge up sufficiently to the proper angle? This can happen especially with the top cartridges in a full magazine. I wouldn't throw away rounds with a slight ding to the lead tip - I find they are still acceptable for target practice at 15 yards.
Woodeye, Yes, this was with factory ammo, not reloads. And in regards to magazines, Yes and No. I did buy a second mag that was for a P-18 Para .38 Super. I thought this might work since the original mag that came with the gun had this same info stamped on the side. However, this mag did not work well at all; 50% jams. I contacted Fred Craig for one of his mags. However, I still have about 10% FTF with the "factory" mags.

The shoulder swelling on the reloads is a different issue, one that I need to resolve in the reloading process using the Hornady dies.

Globetrotter45

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My TCM came with 2 extractors also. And, you are right, the case swelling forced the case to expand into the voids in the chamber wall which locked the case tightly into the chamber. Even after driving the case out with a rod you could still see the "bumps" on the case where it had been forced into the chamber wall voids. I did have the TCM extrator in the pistol. I have read that some have also used the TCM extractor successfully with 9mm rounds but not so on my pistol. Using the TCM extractor with 9mm rounds caused the slide to not go fully into battery which meant the trigger would not pull.
The 9mm case base is thinner to the groove than that of the TCM cartridge, just enough that the 9mm extractor won't securely lock on the shell. The TCM extractor has a slightly longer reach and thus will successfully hook either cartridge. I have used it for both with no problems, in fact that case-swelling stoppage was the only failure I have had with this gun shooting either round. The base of the TCM brass is quite thick and the swelling was app. one-quarter-inch above the extraction groove where the case wall returns to its lesser thickness. Your chamber voids are certainly not usual for this gun and do require attention by the Mothership. Keep us posted, please.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woodeye, Yes, this was with factory ammo, not reloads. And in regards to magazines, Yes and No. I did buy a second mag that was for a P-18 Para .38 Super. I thought this might work since the original mag that came with the gun had this same info stamped on the side. However, this mag did not work well at all; 50% jams. I contacted Fred Craig for one of his mags. However, I still have about 10% FTF with the "factory" mags.

The shoulder swelling on the reloads is a different issue, one that I need to resolve in the reloading process using the Hornady dies.

Globetrotter45
The P-18 Para .38 Super mag has longer feed lips than the Factory 22 TCM mag which feed the cartridge at too low an angle as you have found out. The P-18 mag needs to have the lips filed/ground back to the length of the Factory mag. The contour below the filed/ground feed lips is not too critical as long as it does not hit the case as it is being fed into the chamber. I also bought a P-18 mag and after cutting back the feed lips it works well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts