1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a new rcbs turrett press. I bought accurate #5 powder. I went to use it and i had powder sticking to everything. my powder mesaure the tray for the scale everything. Has any one else ever ran into this before? I'm thinking it's was sticking just because it was new and never used before. thanks


------------------
Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Sounds like static electricity to me. Wipe everything down with a dryer cloth that prevents static electricity and you should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
If it is not oil, it could be a dangerous level of static electricity. A spark is easy to get with that much static, and sparks are not good with gunpowder.

Grounding yourself is generally easier than wiping everything, though that may help, too.

Touching any grounded appliance, such as your computer case, or the screw that holds the cover plate on an electrical outlet, should take care of it. If you get a spark, you have static electricity, and need to take care to insure that you are "clean" before handling powder.




[This message has been edited by KLN (edited 08-13-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
??? If the equipment is static charged (sticking powder indicator) and the operator is not (having just discharged himself), won't that cause a spark as soon as the operator touches the charged equipment?

What am I missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
I would also check the humidity level in your home. Low humidity can cause a static build up.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top