1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted earlier, I picked up a new Trophy Match.(pouchless dambit) I Hope to get it to the range tomorrow.

Anyway.....While getting intimate with the workings of the beast, (racking the slide, dry firing) I noticed that on several occasions the hammer followed the slide. This would seem to me to be a problem. Should I be concerned, should I not? Is this how a pistol "Doubles"?

------------------
Auggie
SA ss Trophy Match
SA UC V-10 Bi-Tone
SA ss 9mm (bagless)
Ruger MK II .22
Awaiting SA/XD .40

·
Registered
110 Posts
Trigger Hop? Is that the name for this? Dont drop the slide on a empty chamber, it will batter the sear. I never beleived this until my smith showed me the sear he removed from one of my guns I had done this to a lot.

Its not a good thing that the hammer follows but it doesnt necessarily mean the gun is going to double on you. My TRP does it to. My gun has never doubled, so I took it as a sign of less than optimal fitting of the internals.

Just to be on the safe side though, load only one round in the mag and fire the gun. If the hammer follows at that point send it back.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shuz,

Thanks for the reply. I am very careful to not let the slide close "smartly" on an empty chamber. Hopfully I can wring it out tomorrow and all will go fine.

------------------
Auggie
SA ss Trophy Match
SA UC V-10 Bi-Tone
SA ss 9mm (bagless)
Ruger MK II .22
Awaiting SA/XD .40

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
This should not be happening on a new gun (or any gun for that matter). Ship it back to the factory. As SHUZ said, dropping the slide from slide lock batters the sear, but dry firing the gun or racking the slide should not hurt it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts