1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this is David again (Ill get my own login name some day), and this is another topic concerning my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. I am having problems with the brass getting crushed against the FRONT of the ejection port. This slices open the mouth of the case very badly and has caused the slide to stop 2 out of the 3 times is has happened. My first guess was too heavy of a spring (18#), but after reading a review in GunTests about a 1911 that had the same malfunction, I think it may be the extractor being too loose. Ill post some pics of the three brass as soon as I can. I have heard from multiple sources that an 18# spring is good for max/hot loads, which these loads are, so I dont see why that would be a problem. GunTests said the extractor was losing grip on the rim of the case and thus wasnt throwing the brass out of the ejection port... my brass have the same scratches on the rim that they pointed out and is doing the same kind of smashing on the mouth of the case. Due to the length of this post, Ill be starting another topic addressing a totally seperate concern. Thank you for any replies.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's probably your extractor.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50359&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

This link is to a thread with instructions on adjusting/replacing the extractor. My springer would crush my brass often. Believe it or not, my springfield 45 came stock with a 9mm extractor! Springfield sent me the correct one, and the probably vanished. I'll see if I can find the other thread I started concerning this problem. If I do, I will post it here.

Bryan

PS Here's that post that would probably help you more.
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50038&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
91 Posts
David... I recently purchased a new Mil-Spec and had the same problem. Seemed like every 10-15 rounds, the brass wouldn't extract properly and would get crushed against the top of the slide, like you said, slicing open the brass.

Curiosity got the best of me, and after "tuning" the extractor a few dozen times, I pulled out the callipers and measured it against what the Kunhausen manual suggested for spec length. My factory extractor seemed too short, possibly so much so that it wasn't properly "grabbing" the rim of the brass each time.

Long story short.... bought a Caspian extractor and firing pin stop, and it works FLAWLESSLY now!

I'm sure other extractors will work, but here's the link to Caspian if you're interested. http://www.caspianarms.com/index_accessories.htm. Good Luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to thank you for your reply. It helped greatly. I read in the GunTests review about the extractor tension causing this problem and starting wondering how Im going to get the $30 for a Wilson Combat Heavy Duty extractor, but I think Ill just try re-tensioning it... God, I hope I dont @$%& this up! I also put the factory 16 pound recoil spring back in instead of the 18 pound spring I had put in there. Maybe the 18 pound spring is too powerful and not allowing the slide to cycle 100%. Im still going to buy a Wilson Combat extended ejector and a Wilson Combat Heavy Duty extractor, but that will come in due time. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
276 Posts
David, there is nothing to it. It just takes trial and error. Take it out, bend it, put it back. Repeat if necessary.:D

Bryan

·
Registered
877 Posts
rborensr said:
I am having problems with the brass getting crushed against the FRONT of the ejection port. This slices open the mouth of the case very badly and has caused the slide to stop 2 out of the 3 times is has happened.

This is not an uncommon problem . . . it happened to my SA Loaded from the first year they made them.

The problem is that the brass is not exiting the ejection port quickly enough. If the cause is the extractor, then the others have given you adequate information.

On the other hand, if tweaking the extractor doesn't help, the next thing I would do is have an experienced 1911 pistol smith "adjust" the ejector by changing its shape with some judicious filing. Changing the shape/angle of the ejector to make the brass eject more "sideways" should do the trick. My FLG (friendly local gunsmith) did it with two (2) strokes of a fine cut file and the problem disappeared.

Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, Im re-tensioning my current extractor and realizing something... is there supposed to be almost 2 rim's-widths in the hook? And how much force does it take to bend this thing? Im being very very causious, and it isnt bending... but I REALLY dont want to break this thing. What I mean by almost 2 rim's-widths, is that even if this thing was over-tensioned, a loaded bullet would still sag downwards because the rim isnt being gripped tightly between the hook and the slide. Well, I re-tensioned it... it holds. The loaded case doesnt fall out when I wiggle it. It flops over and the tip of the bullet hits the ejection port and stops it from falling out, but it is noticabily tighter than what it was. Im not sure if this will fix it, but I sure hope so. Re-tensioning the extractor and slowing the slide speed by putting in a weaker recoil spring SHOULD fix it, if it doesnt... well, the gunsmith is good with 1911s.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car54, yet again, you proove to be very helpful and post an excellent reply. Thank you (again). Yes, that is the gap I was talking about. Reading DesertMoon's reply to your topic (about the 18,5# recoil spring) is making me think about putting my 18# spring back in. Upon measuring the hook end of my extractor with a Lyman digital caliper, I see that my current extractor is the same model that came in yours originally (.147"). Mine also has an "8" or "B" stamped into it, whether or not this means anything is beyond me. Im getting a new one as soon as I can, so I will make this one work until then. Thanks for all the help, and thanks for the quick replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts