1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
No Problems with the 1911 A1 or R1

I have both the Remington 1911 R1S and the Springfield 1911 A1 stainless with a match grade barrel and bushing in both and have had no problems with either. I may be old fashioned but I was taught a specific way to break in a pistol and a rifle.

Rule 1 All firearms are loaded until you verify that they are unloaded.

Rule 2 All firearms are dirty weather new or used.

All firearms get cleaned before they are shot by me, weather they are new or used. Every Firearm if it is new has been handled by at the very minimum two sets of hands, yours and the assembler, more that likely by many more than that. How many lookey loos handle every gun in the shop, weather they are buying or more than likely not. If they are not trained then who knows how they have handled them.

Pistol; clean after each shot for the first 50 rnds, then after every 3 rnds for 30 rnds, finally after every 5 rnds for 20 rnds. Then clean after each use. On new pistols they are run wet for the entire break in period.

Rifle; clean after every shot for the first 100 rnds, then after each use. I also run my rifles wet.

Both during and after break in I use grease on anything that slides and Red oil on anything that moves. My autos and semi-auto rifles are all run wet at all times. With particular care on AR15s.

I have owned almost any brand 1911 you can name, and the ones that I have not owned I have shot with the exception of a few of the higher end custom shop guns. The Springer and the R1S are my favorites, but that is more of when and who gave them to me, sentimental reasons. Personally I use the old Red Oil that we used on everything. If you need it most of us that remember transitioning from the M1 Garand to the M16 have a version of Red Oil that we believe is the best. I have seen many versions on this forum.

I was taught that accuracy is a direct result of proper break in, any weapon can only reach its full potential by being broke in properly. A complete piece of junk, if it is broke in properly will still be a piece of junk, but it will be the most accurate piece of junk that it can be.

I would also like to say that I believe in Gun Control and Background Checks.

My definitions;

Gun Control is the ability to hit your target.

A Background Check is insuring what is located behind your target.

·
Banned
461 Posts
I have both the Remington 1911 R1S and the Springfield 1911 A1 stainless with a match grade barrel and bushing in both and have had no problems with either. I may be old fashioned but I was taught a specific way to break in a pistol and a rifle.

Rule 1 All firearms are loaded until you verify that they are unloaded.

Rule 2 All firearms are dirty weather new or used.

All firearms get cleaned before they are shot by me, weather they are new or used. Every Firearm if it is new has been handled by at the very minimum two sets of hands, yours and the assembler, more that likely by many more than that. How many lookey loos handle every gun in the shop, weather they are buying or more than likely not. If they are not trained then who knows how they have handled them.

Pistol; clean after each shot for the first 50 rnds, then after every 3 rnds for 30 rnds, finally after every 5 rnds for 20 rnds. Then clean after each use. On new pistols they are run wet for the entire break in period.

Rifle; clean after every shot for the first 100 rnds, then after each use. I also run my rifles wet.

Both during and after break in I use grease on anything that slides and Red oil on anything that moves. My autos and semi-auto rifles are all run wet at all times. With particular care on AR15s.

I have owned almost any brand 1911 you can name, and the ones that I have not owned I have shot with the exception of a few of the higher end custom shop guns. The Springer and the R1S are my favorites, but that is more of when and who gave them to me, sentimental reasons. Personally I use the old Red Oil that we used on everything. If you need it most of us that remember transitioning from the M1 Garand to the M16 have a version of Red Oil that we believe is the best. I have seen many versions on this forum.

I was taught that accuracy is a direct result of proper break in, any weapon can only reach its full potential by being broke in properly. A complete piece of junk, if it is broke in properly will still be a piece of junk, but it will be the most accurate piece of junk that it can be.

I would also like to say that I believe in Gun Control and Background Checks.

My definitions;

Gun Control is the ability to hit your target.

A Background Check is insuring what is located behind your target.
I like your thinking.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
The majority of the issues I have been seeing on the net are from people shooting white box winchester 230 grain fmj.

I shot a couple of mags of remington hollow points, 1 mag of speer reloads that were close to 12 years old, and not a single issue.

Load up the winchester 230 grain fmj, and it seems every other magazine has a problem.

Last week I bought another box of the winchester 100 rounds 230 grain round nose. I might go shoot a whole box (100 rounds) + the reloads + the hollow points and go from there.
Since someone else revived the thread... I sure wish I had read this *BEFORE* I bought 500 rounds of Winchester white box for my new R1. The first round won't feed, period. Jams against the feed ramp and jams so hard it doesn't even want to release the magazine. Have to stick a finger in through the ejection port and push down on the miss feed while pushing on the magazine release. Stick the same magazine in my old USGI and it feeds just fine.

So, before I call Remington support I'll try some other ammo manufacturers. If it still doesn't feed then I'll call Remington.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Banned
461 Posts
I sure wish I had read this *BEFORE* I bought 500 rounds of Winchester white box for my new R1.
I've shot w-w-b for like a decade with never a problem. I have something like 700 rounds on my shelf right now, even more in 9mm. I never had a problem with it until recently. Pistols that have gone over 700 rounds without a malfunction are now having fte and double feeds, but only when I shoot w-w-b. If you are looking for a cheap range ammo that works really well, look at Federal's aluminum cased FMJ. Its accurate, has never given me a problem and is cleaner than w-w-b. W-w-b is off the buy list for sure but funny, while it gives all the brands I own hiccups, my FN's eat it with never a problem. I've even taken the w-w-b rounds salvaged from problem mags in my other guns, tried them in the FN's and they fed no problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've shot w-w-b for like a decade with never a problem. I have something like 700 rounds on my shelf right now, even more in 9mm. I never had a problem with it until recently. Pistols that have gone over 700 rounds without a malfunction are now having fte and double feeds, but only when I shoot w-w-b. If you are looking for a cheap range ammo that works really well, look at Federal's aluminum cased FMJ. Its accurate, has never given me a problem and is cleaner than w-w-b. W-w-b is off the buy list for sure but funny, while it gives all the brands I own hiccups, my FN's eat it with never a problem. I've even taken the w-w-b rounds salvaged from problem mags in my other guns, tried them in the FN's and they fed no problem.
I just plan on buying several different manufacturer's in small quantities until I either get tired of trying or find one that feeds.Luckily, the USGI isn't picky. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put Federal aluminum first on the list.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My CZ and Remmy Commander have never had any issues with WWB, but the 5" R1 hates it. My most used range ammo is Federal American Eagle and Blazer Brass. I've also shot a fair few rounds of Magtech (which can often be found for a good price from PSA) in both .45 and 9mm with no issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
R1 Just Doesn't Like Winchester White Box

Turns out that I also had a box of MagTech. Loaded up one of the magazines that came with the R1 and just hand cycled the rounds. Had a FTF or two the first time but then reloaded the magazine and all was good. Ditto when I used a USGI magazine from CMP but the MagTech ammo.

So much for my theory that WWB would be a good compromise between cost per round and quality. I'll run a couple of hundred rounds of MagTech or similar through the R1 and then try the WWB again (if there are any left by then... the USGI arsenal mutt is quite happy with WWBs).

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
Funny, I thought it was just my R1 that hated wwb. I bought a box when my pistol was new, over 5000 rounds ago. Big problems trying to feed the Winchester white box. Never went back and have had no problems with other rounds. I reload and my reloads cycle fine with ball and hollow points. I am curious about oal and crimp measurements on the Winchester vs. others. I have shot aluminum cased ammo and a variety of sd hollow points as well as hundreds of rounds of federal, no problem.
Now that the pistol is well seasoned, I wonder if the Winchester would feed ok...I'll have to find out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Now that the pistol is well seasoned, I wonder if the Winchester would feed ok...I'll have to find out.
It might, or it might not. My 5" R1 has close to 3,000 rounds through it, and last time I shot it (a while ago, the Commander and CZ get all the range time these days), it still wasn't having any of it, lol. There are several brands that I've had no issues with in any of my 1911s, that are usually cheaper than WWB, so the only time I ever buy it is at the range. I've got about 800 rounds of Blazer Brass, 1,000 rounds of MagTech and 600 rounds of American Eagle on hand, all purchased for less than I ever see WWB going for, soooo...

I'll tell you what I know, and you can draw your own conclusions. About 4 years ago I read a thread about WWB. Don't remember if it was here or elsewhere, and don't recall if it was regarding the R1 or 1911s in general. A guy took a box of WWB, and a couple of boxes of other .45 ACP and mic'd them up. I don't remember if it was diameter or OAL, but he found much greater variation on the WWB than the other brands. The other brands were pretty damned consistent from round to round.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had issues with my R1. Bought different mags. No change. Started using Mobile 1 synthetic grease. Bought it for my M1 Garand. Never had another problem. Flea market knock off mags, Kimber mags, Remington mags, a dozen military issue mags.
No problem. Military issue mags from CMP. $8.00 each. Remington mags, $34.00each. No difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently bought an R1 and have had problems with the gun and Remington in general. I would like for them to make good, but that appears not to be forthcoming. Will post my story in one day.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Buy a Wilson Combat magazine. Then lube it up really well and go shoot it again. If it runs, it will have been worth the cost to prove it wasn't the gun. If it doesn't you will still have one of the best 1911 magazines on the market. It's win / win, regardless of how you look at it.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.