1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 (full-size). When I took it out to the range for the first time, the only problem I noted was with the position of the mag-release. I have slightly smaller hands for a tall guy (no giggling, please) and have difficulty releasing the magazine swiftly without significantly altering my grip, releasing the mag, and then re-establishing my grip.

Being new to 1911s, I have to ask: Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
They make extended and oversized mag releases for this exact reason. Snuggle up to a Brownells catalog and see that there is to offer. :)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Most people have to rotate the gun in their had to hit the mag release button effectively. Give that a try if you want to avoid adding an oversized mag release, (i.e. Magazine Catch)

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I switched to G10 grips (thin line) by Mil-Tac and they have a thumb channel cut into the grip that helps guide my thumb to the release. Seems to help and the Grey/Black material looks sweet on my Stainless Loaded.JR

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10ring said:
Most people have to rotate the gun in their had to hit the mag release button effectively. Give that a try if you want to avoid adding an oversized mag release, (i.e. Magazine Catch)
That's exactly what I have to do, but it seriously slows me down. With my Glock 22, I'm lightening fast dropping a mag and returning one. I love my 1911, but this mag situation is frustrating.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There are methods using the weak hand that can work during reload training -- I've used them for those who don't like repositioning the strong hand to release the magazine or those with small hands. This method was first shown to me at Thunder Ranch many years ago and works well for some. Personally, repositioning the strong hand, IMO, is the better method...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts