1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first 1911 today, I went with Kimber as I feel it's the best value for the bucks. I decided on a Stainless & Aluminum ProCarry. About the same weight as a CDP but a few hundred cheaper. I went to the range and using a Chip McCormick aftermarket *rd mag and 185 Grain Winchester Winclean semi stovepiped every 3-4 rounds, I tried 230 Grain Winchester ammo and had the same problem. Hmmm extractor? Switched mags to the factory 7 rnd and only had it happen twice in the next hundred rounds. Still too often. Is this a break-in issue? When it shoots it's awesome but I'm going to keep carrying my Glock until this is resolved.
Recoil isn't much more than the 5 inch barrel and much heavier classic Kimbers I've shot, really like it.
I noticed the barrel was dirty when I brought it home also ran some patches through it & I would swear it had had a couple rounds through it without cleaning, are they factory test fired and not cleaned?
I broke it down when I got home and was kinda suprised at what I considered rough finish inside, I took a dremel to the rough feed ramp till it is nice, smooth and shiny.
The magazine release is a bear too sometimes it binds. Thoughts anyone????

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
my goldmatch took a few rounds to warm up but now it runs great. I checked out a new kimber, not sure which one it was, I think it is a pro carry cdp. It should not have left the factory in the shape it was in, at least not as a $1000 gun. slide to frame was grity and did not slide all the way closed if you let it down slow. A few 100 rounds would probly smooth out most of this. But damn! any gun should be hand checked before it leaves the factory, I'm not a smith and found these problems very fast. good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Shoot another 300-400 rounds factory ammo and you'll see it really start to "burn in".
Kimber's are tight, some to tight. If after this break in you still experince these hang ups, and you DEFINETLY SHOULD NOT, it's back to Dennis and the other good guys at Kimber. Mine went back early on due to trigger problems. They did good for me, REAL good. Your extractor will be tuned or replaced.

Come to think of it, mine was test fired as well (when I bought it AND after the factory repair) and left it a little funky, not bad though.

Oh Yeah! That DREMEL of yours
I seriously recommed you keep it and your 1911 well away from each other! brookstexas, for every one good 1911/Dremel story I've heard in my nearly half century, I've heard FIVE HUNDRED horror stories. BEWARE!! Good luck with the Kimber, it'll be worth the wait!!!

[This message has been edited by lodraw (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
"Drop the Dremel Tool and step away from the 1911."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Jim V:

Relax folks, I used jewlers rouge and polished the feed ramp only. I won't touch the rails or anything else!
BT

·
Registered
466 Posts
Promise??? You swear???

We tend to freak at the slightest mention of.........DREMEL

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
Very Very Good!
thanks for the Laugh!!!!!

besides the bullets go up the ramp, not across, so the lines should too.

and yes Dennis is a great guy, shooter too.
geo ><>

·
Registered
370 Posts
a dremel on a 1911? BLASPHEMY!!!

next time ya do it, you will either get strung up or will be the target holder for the Blind Shooters Assoc.

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Black Pearl 45:
a dremel on a 1911? BLASPHEMY!!!

next time ya do it, you will either get strung up or will be the target holder for the Blind Shooters Assoc.

OK I'm confused, whats with the Dremel thing?
It seems almost all 1911s really need fluff & buff work (with a Dremel or something) so why the negativity?

·
Registered
350 Posts
My Kimber wouldn't feed the blunt nosed WinCleans till I had sent plenty of 230 grain HB's down range.

In my last 700 to 800 rounds through the Kimber I've only had 1 FTF and I attributed that one to me.

My Springfield was much the same way,,,,over the last 300 to 400 rounds it has functioned flawlessly.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey, Mr Brooks,,, it's just been a running joke here at the site,,, I'm quite sure it wasn't meant as an insult or even directly pointed in yer direction.

I've had some personal experience (LOL - lots actually) with Kimbers. IRT the mag catch being "catchy"... I had good success disassembling the entire mag catch and cleaning the extra shavings and goouck out of the recess where the mag catch spring goes. It helped the mag catch "action" on EACH Kimber I owned. Some were horrible but cleaned up real good.

See Jim V's helpful Mag Catch FAQ in the FAQ forum.

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
92 Posts
If there is any time a 5 day waiting period and an FBI check is appropriate it would be at the time of a Dremel purchase.... No offense to you, brookstexas. It sounds like you know how far to go and not go--just a comment in general to anyone who is tempted to use one who doesn't have your experience. Metal comes off a lot easier than it goes back on.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Run 2-300 230 gr HB through it before anything else...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts