1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some issues with my commander today.

First when I'd put in a new mag and rack the slide it would only go forward a bit and lock up. I'd have to hold the mag release and wiggle the slide to get the mag to drop. When the mag dropped the first round would be partially pulled out of the mag. This happened with both of my ruger mags.

Second. After firing the slide wouldn't completely close. It would go 95% of the way and stop. I'd have to reach over with my thumb and give it a little push.

Third. Occasionally while firing, instead of the usual snap of the slide cycling it felt more like a flop back and a limp back into battery.

The gun was dirty, I shot about 100 rounds through it a few days before. It was clean enough to eat off before that.

This happened with factory hollow points, factory 230gr ball, and 200gr rnfp reloads. Fired around 150 rounds today.

I've never had a single issue with this gun. I've put about 2k rounds through it so far.

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
New recoil spring.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts

Second. After firing the slide wouldn't completely close. It would go 95% of the way and stop. I'd have to reach over with my thumb and give it a little push.

The gun was dirty,
Were you easing the slide forward very slowly or allowing it to move forward with a little bit of gusto. (Not slamming it closed from slide lock type gusto.)

How dirty was it? Did it do the same after you cleaned it again?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm no gunsmith but I'd put a new recoil spring in it and see if that solved it. It's a cheap and easy thing to do and you're out nothing if it doesn't solve the problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Sounds like a trip back to the Mother Ship is in order. Give them a call, send it in on their nickel, and it should work like new when you get it back in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
My Ruger SR1911 CMD had numerous problems out of the box. To name a few, the receiver ramp was cut at 29.5° (too steep), the extractor had not been tuned at all and had too much deflection, the fire control parts were poorly fitted and the worst was the barrel. It was long-linked, the chamber mouth too tight (The "flop back and a limp back into battery" you experience sounds like it could be an extraction problem with the case sticking in the chamber, bleeding energy form the recoiling slide.) and the hood was cut too short. The pistol exhibited reliability problems including FTF, FTRB, and FTE (stove pipes). The trigger pull was creepy and hard.

I replaced the barrel with a Kart, tuned and adjusted the extractor, cut the receiver ramp to 31.5° and performed a complete "trigger job". While tweaking the ejection, I discovered that a Colt 38 Super ejector

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/ejector-parts/ejectors/1911-38-super-government-ejector-prod18559.aspx

provided superior ejection to the original ejector because it hit the case closer to center. Also, mine seems to prefer the spec length ejector over the long nose ejector. I replaced the FPS with a short radius one.

It is now my favorite shooter and a reliable carry gun.

I have no idea about what the typical CMD is like, since my sample size is one.

If want to undertake working your way through you expressed symptoms a step at a time, you will find help here. If not, then follow gw104's advice.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I must say that, of the score of 1911 pistols I shoot, my Ruger Commander-size has been the most problematic. It is an early one, and perhaps the bugs were not worked out yet. It took some tinkering to get it to be reliable and functioning properly. The problems were more than just having the front sight fall off twice while shooting.

My full size Ruger 1911 has been 100% out of the box with no problems at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you easing the slide forward very slowly or allowing it to move forward with a little bit of gusto. (Not slamming it closed from slide lock type gusto.)

How dirty was it? Did it do the same after you cleaned it again?
I put the mag in and rack the slide normally. Never use the slide release.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
New recoil spring.
That sounds like a good place to start, any upgraded springs to look at or just go with factory replacement?

How often do you typically change a recoil spring?

Snapdragon and no expert, it ran flawlessly for at least 1800 rounds, and I bought the gun used.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have never had a single problem with any of my 3 Ruger SR1911s. (.45 in both sizes, 9mm Commander). They have been good, flawless shooters.

If I was the OP I'd call Ruger ASAP. They will almost certainly send a prepaid shipping label to have the gun retuned to them for repair. I would not attempt any changes until talking to Ruger.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts

First when I'd put in a new mag and rack the slide it would only go forward a bit and lock up. I'd have to hold the mag release and wiggle the slide to get the mag to drop. When the mag dropped the first round would be partially pulled out of the mag. This happened with both of my ruger mags.

Third. Occasionally while firing, instead of the usual snap of the slide cycling it felt more like a flop back and a limp back into battery.

The gun was dirty, I shot about 100 rounds through it a few days before. It was clean enough to eat off before that.

This happened with factory hollow points, factory 230gr ball, and 200gr rnfp reloads. Fired around 150 rounds today.

I've never had a single issue with this gun. I've put about 2k rounds through it so far.

Take the gun apart......You may have a broken or cracked lower lug.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That sounds like a good place to start, any upgraded springs to look at or just go with factory replacement?

How often do you typically change a recoil spring?

Snapdragon and no expert, it ran flawlessly for at least 1800 rounds, and I bought the gun used.

Wolff Springs

Full size 3000rds max less the smaller the gun.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Lol I appreciate the article, but after 2k flawless rounds I wouldn't call it a lemon.
Then why are you afraid to call Ruger?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then why are you afraid to call Ruger?
I'm going to put a recoil spring in it first because it's way overdue. If the problem continues then I'll call ruger.

Thank you for the useless confrontational post though. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Thank you for the useless confrontational post though. Very helpful.
You ask for help. You get several responses trying to help. You blow them off. Now advice is confrontational?

Please explain how the " it felt more like a flop back and a limp back into battery." is a recoil spring problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts