1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having any problems with the ACT-MAGs used by Nighthawk? I love my gun but while I was training at Blackwater all five of my mags cracked in the upper right corner when viewed from the back. Nighthawk was nice enough to overnight me new mags. The problem was that all of the new ones either broke or showed evidence of small cracks after half a days work. After coming home I sent the gun and all of the mags back to them. They called me later that day and informed me that there is nothing wrong with my gun (good news) and that the reason the mags were braking was that I was inserting the mags to hard into the gun. Now I am no way gentle but I never thought I was too hard on my stuff. I have been shooting for years!!! I have never broke a magazine before. Just seems strange that all of a sudden mags from one manufacture are braking and it is my fault. Nighthawk was good and is sending me more but I don't think that I will put my life on the line by using mags that have to be inserted softly into the gun or the will break and cause to gun to malfunction. By the way, when it happens the round will not chamber and it took three people (one to hold the slide, one to push down on the mag and another to pull on the mag). Anyone else have this problem?

M

·
0 Posts
I think they could have come up with a better reason than that. I would have a hard time accepting that reason.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have 3 ACT magazines by Novak and have not had any problems with either one. I'm not very gentle with them either (mostly use them for IDPA). I'd try different magazines (Wilsons) in your gun and see if there are any problems under the same use and conditions.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
King1679 said:
They called me later that day and informed me that there is nothing wrong with my gun (good news) and that the reason the mags were braking was that I was inserting the mags to hard into the gun.

That is lame, at best. I understand that they are "in bed" with ACT, but that doesn't make a cover up necessary. Perhaps there was some miscommunication of some sort. For the record, I am not a gunsmith, but I have never heard of such a magazine failure caused by insertion. I don't have a mag in front of me to inspect, but I am guessing that there is a problem with the welding of the mag body. Again, I don't have one here to look over, so I may be incorect. At this point, I don't know that I would panic, as it may have just been a bad batch of magazines. Quite frankly, I am very particular about the magazines I use anyway, and those ACT mags would have gone into the closet as soon as I opened the Nighthawk box.

Be well!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well, unfortunately I have to take my comments back. :( I was just getting ready for tomorrow’s match and packing up my range bag when I remembered about this post. I decided to inspect my Novak (ACT) magazines that I've been using for IDPA for past year or so, and sure enough - both have exactly the same cracks at the back top of the magazine body behind feed lips. :mummy: I haven't had any feeding problems yet, but I will most definitely have this addressed as soon as possible. I just sent an email to Novak's, so we'll see what they say. Bummer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
wow! I wonder how long they have been like that? :hrm:
Were they so small that you didnt see them until you knew what to look for?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They are pretty small; they look like surface cracks - not very deep. I tried bending the lip away a little and see if it'll separate at the crack, but it didn't move any and still appeared to be fairly solid. What's interesting is that one magazine has the right lip cracked, and the other one has left. I'll try taking some pictures when I have time for those interested. BTW, I also inspected about half a dozen Wilson magazines that I usually use for matches and they don't show any problems in that area, so I'm very certain it's not my gun's fault.

·
Registered
82 Posts
King1679 said:
Anyone having any problems with the ACT-MAGs

The problem was that all of the new ones either broke or showed evidence of small cracks after half a days work. malfunction.

Anyone else have this problem?
I was issued 7 of the ACT mags and had all 7 exhibit the cracks within a few hundred rounds through my Springfield. Our armorer returned them and gave me four more, all of which cracked in close to two hundred rounds. Mine were the chromed version. I may take a look at the blued ACT mags and see if the problem was in the chroming process, but right now I am testing the Tripp Cobra mags, and I don't have enough rounds through them to recommend yet.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
dldarrow said:
Mine were the chromed version. I may take a look at the blued ACT mags and see if the problem was in the chroming process...
I doubt it; one of my cracked magazines is blue and one is Nickel plated.

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is not good. I've only just now shot the first 230 rounds through my Nighthawk - and have had no issues at all w/ the magazines, but after this thread, I don't think I can carry the Nighthawk w/ the supplied mags. Good thing I have my handy CMCs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Those are the same mags that came with my valtro, I used one alot- it cracked in the same place.
I was told by a top smith who saw me using that mag- and saw the crack - when a mag cracks like that - not to use it - it can be a danger to you. I forgot the long winded gun tech talk i was given on why it is dangerous. All i rememberd - mag bad, throw out. :-D
bob

I threw the mag out and use another brands in my 1911s. Those mags are not the best.

bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have had the same problem with ACT mags. Two of the ones that came with my NightHawk cracked, and 1 of the three that I have for my SIG P220's did as well. The SIG mags do not see the same level of use as my 1911 mags.

I officially wrote them off for anything other than practice quite a while ago. I have seen posts on other forums about the same problem.

I have been VERY happy with my NightHawk, but the mags are another story.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have heard of the ACT-Novak mags cracking... the owners contacted ???? and they replaced them free of charge. I'd have to search the Sig Forum to find out whom they contacted. I THINK they said the called Novak and they replaced them (which struck me as odd since they're not the manufacturer)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Woah! And here I am fixing to buy 4 more from Nighthawk so I can stuff the little green nylon bag full of mags. I guess I won't be doing that. :eek:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The cracking problem has been posted here on the board on several occasions. I have had the same experiences as you people. Novak was good enough to send me replacement mags but they cracked in short order also.

I did speak with the president of PSI (the importer) and he says the earlier mags were improperly heat-treated. That could be the case but I haven't bothered to try anymore. I hope they are fixed, as they seem to be nice mags.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106148&highlight=ACT-MAG+crack

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103074&page=2&highlight=ACT-MAG+crack

·
Registered
609 Posts
the ACT-mags are reliable 8-rounders, they seem every bit as reliable as Wilson 47D's, but indeed I know a lot of those mags are prone to cracking in the upper corners

there was a post in the S&W section too about cracked ACT-mags some time ago

some people do have good mags, other peoples keep on cracking

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got my Talon 2 from them and was expecting the 2 ACT mags. But instead I got a wilson 47dc inserted in the gun :scratch: and a ACT mag in the plastic bag. Believe it or not I was almost as happy to see the Wilson mag as I was to see the gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hairline crack

Upon reading this post, I then checked my ACT-Mag and saw that it has two hairline cracks as previous post indicated. I usually carry one ACT-mag in my carry 1911 and the spare mags are Wilson 47D's. I usually carry this way due to the flatter basepad that the ACT-mag has over the Wilson mags.

Now, I am changing my ACT-Mag for the Wilson. I cannot take that chance with my life. As previously stated by another post, I will use the ACT-mag for practice only.

Thanks for the warning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.