1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my Series 80 malfunctioned again yesterday - after firing the second to last round, the last round stovepiped and jammed. This is the fifth time it has happened while using Wilson 47Ds.

So far, you all have suggested that either the extractor or the mag spring could be the problem. I have labeled each of my Wilson mags and I will test them extensively this monday at Ace's Indoor Range. I will also use my 7 round Colt mags that came with the gun. If the malfunction does not occur with them, then the problem is definitely the Wilson mags. If the malfunction persists even with the Colt Mags, I will take the gun to a pistol smith.

I will reply to this post Monday Evening.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I got 2 Wison, 8 rd mags yesterday. During a 100 round session, I got stove pipes on the 7th round on both mags every time. I then notived that the slide stop was binding on the leading edge of the mag. I then noticed that with an empty mag and the slide retracted, it took a lot of force on the slide release to get it to release. I removed the slide stop/release and noticed that the rear face where it contacts the magazine was irregular and not true. I filed and polished it to the extent that it would easily release the slide with an empty mag. I just returned from the range and had zero malfuntions. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Have you tried different brands of ammo. Unfortunately sometimes guns are a little ammo sensitive.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have 7 Wilson mags and they work great with my Combat Elite and my SW1911. 4 mags are 8 rounders and 3 are 7 rounders.
The only problems I have had were with Winclean ammo in the SW1911 and it was with both types of mags. I hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had the same problem as you are having with my 1991 Gov't model. The Colt mags work great but the 47D's stovepiped or jammed on the 8th cartridge. This was with 3 brand new 47D's too. I quickly got rid of these and went to Chip McCormick mags and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ten new 47d's, two have the same problem, others are ok most of the time. I went back to Colt mags for IDPA and carry. I had a Wilson slide stop snap in half with finger pressure,while fitting it.
The Wilson parts look good but if you want reliability use Colt or Chips.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
A stiffer magazine spring sometimes corrects this problem as well. I replaced the springs in all of my mags (Colts, Wilsons, PowerMags, CMC, MecGar) with Wolff 11# springs and have great reliability. The 8-round mags become 7-round mags and with the Wilson follower, you need to do a little trimming of the spring shape on top to fit well in the follower... but by doing that, you get a really beefy spring with a lot of coils which will last a long time. The heavier magazine spring is especially important if you shoot full charge defense ammo and use a 17# recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have heard and read of people making their reliable 1911's malfunction prone when they switched to Wilsons. They are not the end all be all magazine. My Colt functions 100% with factory Colt, CMC Shooting Star and Power Mag, and High Standard Gov't contract overrun's on sale for $4.95 at Midway.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
What's a Wilson 47D? I own Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8rders, and Wilson 8 rders. All work fine but I trust the McCormicks more, as the followers are more traditional.

·
Registered
504 Posts
CowBoyWay said:
I then noticed that with an empty mag and the slide retracted, it took a lot of force on the slide release to get it to release. I removed the slide stop/release and noticed that the rear face where it contacts the magazine was irregular and not true. I filed and polished it to the extent that it would easily release the slide with an empty mag. I just returned from the range and had zero malfuntions. Hope that helps.
I have the same thing, slide is very hard to release on an empty mag....colt mags that came with the firearm. I haven't fired it yet since I got it but won't try to remedy the situation until I try it out first.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have the same thing, slide is very hard to release on an empty mag....colt mags that came with the firearm. I haven't fired it yet since I got it but won't try to remedy the situation until I try it out first.
Even if you insist on using the slide stop to release the slide, you shouldn't do it on an empty mag because it's not a great practice to thwack it into battery without at cartridge. Besides, the problem goes away when there's a round in the mag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts