1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this one up recently and went to the S/N lookup site and came up with 1961 on this one.

S/N 2888MR

Could this be correct?? Or could this be a later production?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Clawson doesn't show detailed serial numbers for the NM 38 MR pistols but your rear sight suggests prior to November 1964

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much appreciated!!!
I have not shot this one, and wondered if it is an "upgraded/improved" version? I hear the early .38 MR's had some issues? Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22,181 Posts
Here is a long thread with the evolution of the .38. Note that he says they were not shipped in serial number order and features may differ from gun to gun of the same number range.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In addition to my linked article (above) I also keep a data base that tracks shipping dates, test target dates, features, box contents, etc, etc, etc. Although I don't have your pistol in my data base, I have several close serial#'s to yours. This group isn't an extreme example of odd shipping practises, but I have several consecutive serial#'s that shipped over 2 and a couple over 3 years apart. Guessing shipping dates vs serial#'s for these pistols is a guess at best. If I was to make an educated guess, I would agree with the Colt Serial# look-up table at 1961-ish :)
2800-MR shipped March 27th. 1961
2828-MR shipped December 1st, 1962
2919-MR shipped December 1st, 1962
2929-MR shipped January 17th, 1961

In regards to your pistol, I would like to include it in my data base. If possible, could you please contact me at: [email protected] as I have several questions.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
824tsv
Is the same thing applicable to 45ACP National Match pistols? Wide disparities in shipping dates and serial numbers?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is a long thread with the evolution of the .38. Note that he says they were not shipped in serial number order and features may differ from gun to gun of the same number range.
glad I stumbled onto this string - I have had a couple of these pistols - currently have 4215-MR. Lot of good info in your article , so thanks very much. Personally I find the Smith model 52 series to be more accurate- but to me it is a matter of trigger which seems to be better in the Smiths than the colts. I just like the 1911s. Is there a "part 2 " to your article yet ? I have a Dillon SDB set up to make the wadcutter ammo, and Berrys made a plated 148 gr DEWC which I bought bunch of. I am recoil sensitive now due to arthritis, so these are a real hoot to shoot as I enjoy truly accurate pistols.

·
Registered
22,181 Posts
Not my article, I just found it on a search, you now know all I do.

A guy here had one that was not particularly accurate with the Speer HBWCs the rest of us were loading for .38 revolvers. He cut it up to accept a .45 upper. Maybe it was one of the early types.
Mk IIIs get good gunboard reviews. though.

Agree, the M52 trigger is great, but I might do better with a Clark Model 61 or one of the Colt Kit guns assembled by a good shop.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I acquired this rode-hard-and-put-up-wet example, No. 1104-MR that still shoots sweetly and more accurately than I can hold it. Colt and Proof House both indicate a 1961 gun on this one too. It's got the later Mark III revisions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
For anyone interested here is Part#2 of my article:

1104-MR was more than likely originally assembled with the MKIII parts although we will never know for sure. That information is not included on a Colt Archive letter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
filson,
Not that I'm aware. The only production change during their run was the rear sight from Colt-Accro to Colt-Elliason in 1964.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am being told that Colt offered and "UPGRADE" for the MR series and I have seen barrel markings that are different than my mine??

Apparently the original version was not reliable/accurate.

I have not shot this one yet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Colt would retro-fit customers MKI and MKII pistols who were unhappy with function and accuracy to the MKIII configuration. I believe this would only take place during the warranty period and Colt would not do this if the pistol was out of warranty. Barrel markings and design changes are covered in my article. The biggest customer complaint at the time was accuracy and feeding issues. This is what prompted (forced?) Colt to make the changes. There is a reason why Colt only sold 9310 pistols. Although highly collectable today, there were better offerings (S&W Model 52) back in the day. Shoot your pistol and report back. Mine is a MKIII (6477-MR) from 1969 and i find it quite accurate, but I don't compete with it.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg
IMG_2093.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts