1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments on actual production time on a Dillon 650 with case feeder in 45 acp? I mean the actual time based on cleaning and sorting brass, filling primer tubes, etc.

Thanks Mark Z.

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
I use a Dillon 650, and use a Vibra-Prime for filling the primer tubes. Takes about 10 seconds to fill a tube. I don't see how brass sorting and cleaning has anything to do with the speed of reloading on the Dillon 650 or any other press.

Dillon advertises a rate of 800-1000 rounds per hour for the 650. I've never really tried to see how fast I can go, but I cn vouch that you can load 100 rounds in just a few minutes. Replenishing the primer supply, using pre-loaded tubes, just takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, OK, I'm sory for not being very clear in my question. Dillon claims 800 to 1,000 rounds per hour. Is this close to accurate considering all the prep work that has to be done prior to pulling the handle. I'm an experienced reloader on the Square Deal and I know that for me it is not possible to load 400 to 500 rds per hour. I want to know how long it takes some of you to load a 1,000 rds. on a 650.

Thanks again, Mark Z.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When Dillon advertises that you can load between 800-1000 rds an hour they mean one hour sitting at the reloader, pulling the handle, will load you that amount. They did not include the prep work of loading primer tubes, tumbling brass.

I spend 2-3 hours cleaning my brass in a tumbler and I fill 10 primer tubes before I sit down to load. That said, I can easily hit the 800 round an hour mark. loading at a comfortable pace. My XL-650 has been my best gun related purchase thus far. It has allowed me to shoot frequently, frugally, and all without spending hours at the reloading maching.

D

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
I usually tumble brass overnight. It makes it very shiny and I am not in a hurry. I have several thousand pieces so it is not a problem. I load on a Dillon 650 and with primer tubes loaded, I reload about 1000 in an hr and 45 minutes or so. But I am not going for a record. I would rather spend an extra 15 or 20 minutes on reloading that 1000 then be concentrating so hard on speed. I just pull the handle and put new primers in and box up the reloads. No hurry, no worry.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you BillD and Dogcatcher, this was exactly the info I was looking for. I may have to spend a little more time as I sort my brass by headstamps. I too do not go for records while loading. I just wanted to know how close some of you can actually get to Dillon's production figures.

I also need to know what the height of your 650s are from the bench to the top of the case feeder. I have heard that Dillon reduced this height recently but cannot remember by how much. I am limited to 45 inches from benchtop to ceiling. I know I can get this info from Dillon and will contact them Monday.

Thanks, Mark Z.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Sorting by headstamps? I gotta ask why? I am after reliable ammo, I never saw sorting them as a way to get that, after you get rid of the junk and Amerc.

34" from benchtop to top of case feeder for my 650/

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks BillD, I thought it was somewhere in that range. Shouldn't that give me more than enough room to dump brass in? Or do I need more room for adjustments and visual inspection?

I'm after accuracy as well as reliabilty. Maybe I'm just a little too anal but my loads are shooting right at an inch at 50 yds. from a Ransom. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Mark Z.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Clevus,
You are 100% correct in that sorting your brass by headstamp will increase your accuracy in reloads. Different brands of brass have lots of different capacitys and brass thickness. The group of Bullseye shooters that I hung with back in the early 80's tested all kinds of variables in match 45acp Colt Bullseye guns made by Giles and Clark. In a Ransom Rest, using the same head stamp---W-W match or Federal or Winchester made for smaller goups at 50 yards in all of the guns we tested vs. mixed headstamps....In several of the guns (including mine) reloads using W-W once fired brass consistantly fired under 2" groups at 50 yards..... To bad I could not hold the gun as tight as a Ransom Rest :) Keep sorting the headstamps for accuracy---I still do as well even for my steel blasters........
BTW, the rest of the accurate load was
Home Cast 200 gr from an H&G gang mold
WW-231 Powder
WW- LPP---Hand primed with a Lee auto prime thing.....
Loaded on C&H Auto Champ and Brand new Dillon 550 (1986 or so)

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Tumbling brass isn't an issue because I do that in separate lots. I always have a bunch cleaned & ready and another in the tumbler. Filling primer tubes is a different story & it helps to have at least a half dozen prefilled. Starting out with empty tubes and going at a relaxed pace I'd say that I could load 400 to 500 rounds in an hour.

·
Registered
42 Posts
RL 550

Personally, do you really need a 650?
Pending on how many you really need to reload, I would talk to the guys at Dillon before I made that investment on the 650.
I was told by a couple of people to get the 650.
But when I talked to Dillon, he asked me a few questions, and convinced me to buy the 550.
The added cost for the 650 may not justify your requirements for reloading.
I can easily load 400 rounds an hour, but if I crank up my time, I can get 500+.
I only shoot in the winter months, cuz I don't hunt or fish in the winter. That said, I shoot usually once a week, about 100 to 300 rounds, (sometimes more often).
I also load for my brother, son in law, and a friend, and quite honestly, the 550 is more than adequate.
Talk to Dillon before you take the plunge.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
45 ACP ONLY

1,000 per hour; yes.
Accurate; yes.

Rumor (not really): Cor-Bon used (still does?) XL650's for small runs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
well I just loaded 1500 9mm rounds yesterday.

I started with empty primer tubes.

12:00 went in the reloading room

12:45 took 10 min break

1:30 I was finished

so that's an hour and 20 mins for 1500 rounds.

I guess it's pretty easy to get the 1000 rounds and hour.

sno

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank's for all the responses everyone! I think I have pretty much made up my mind. Time is a premium for me and I'd rather be shooting than loading.

I'm a pistol smith at Rock River Arms and am in the process of building a new Limited Match for myself. I get a very good deal from Chuck if I build it on my own time. He makes a little on the parts and charges a little for use of milling tools, etc. I also have the privlege of seeing how my loads shoot from someone who knows how to build accurate pistols and properly use a Ransom Rest. So next spring I'll have a pistol that will shoot less than 1.5 inches at 50 yds and ammo up to the task. Actually a lot of our pistols are shooting an inch or under so that makes it easy to see how my load is shooting. The smallest group I have seen with my ammo was .96 inches, one ragged hole.

Now all I have to do is get my pistol done and get in plenty of practice and I'll be kicking some you know what this spring.

Mark Z.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts