1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the improvements, changes made over the last couple of years? I am sure SA got some feedback from the SWAT agents and made some.

I think the Trit inserts from IWI where dying out pre maturely and SA has Trijicon now do the inserts.

I have also seen different checkering on the front strap ( more contoured)

How about the Titanium firing pins? the Wilson Bullet proof extractor?

designing guns on paper is 99% but listening to feedback and making the changes brings it to the next level.

any info?

Thanks,
Shay

[This message has been edited by Shay (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe the current guns are coming with Wilson Bulletproof slide stops, Metalform 7 round magazines, and Trijicon tritium inserts. I think the Ti firing pins have remained original.

I'm probably missing something but that's the big stuff.

[This message has been edited by barbrady (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any idea why they changed from Wilson to Metalform magazines? To save money, or were the Wilsons not making the grade (hard to believe based on my experience with them).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to know that to because I have been using the Wilson 8 rounders for a few years with very good results.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Originally posted by D.A.Mike:
Any idea why they changed from Wilson to Metalform magazines? To save money, or were the Wilsons not making the grade (hard to believe based on my experience with them).
Apparently, over years of abuse and thousands of rounds, some mags began to give trouble...specifically the plastic followers.
With the switch to Metalforms, they through in one extra mag.

The Wilson mag is still an excellent mag.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so they now supply 6 mags with the gun? are the metalform mags 8 rounders?

thanks,
shay

·
Registered
37 Posts
The current Metalform magazines are 7 rounders, for good reason according to some folks I've discussed the issue with.

While Wilson 8 round magazines are great, they suffer 2 inherent weaknesses. First, the space needed for the 8th round reduces the space available for the follower and spring. Thus, the spring must be smaller and made of thinner material to allow for the extra round. This causes the spring to wear more quickly and therefore cause problems. These magazines, in my experience, will run flawlessly if the springs and followers are swapped every, say, 6 months or so under heavy use. If you get lazy with the spring swaps, you may start to experience some magazine related reliability problems. This is a maintenance issue akin to swapping recoil springs but the use of 7 round magazines makes it a non-issue. Wolff has recently started marketing a very similar 7 round magazine that seems to solve these problems and appears to be extremely reliable under heavy use.

The second problem is the use of plastic base pads. They break. A simple, cheap, and permanent solution is found in Wilson's steel or aluminum base pads. They don't break.

Both are great but the Wilson 8 round magazine just requires a bit of maintenance. Like I was once told, the 1911 is the perfect pistol for the "sophisticated user". It's not for everyone but it's superb for those willing to take the time to work with it. That includes maintenance.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
barbrady has it right...they are 7 rounders and the Wilson's do require a bit more maintenance to replace followers, springs and base pads...that is, if you are firing thousands and thousands of rounds each year and dropping your mags on concrete surfaces.

If your shooting is not in that realm, the Wilsons will do fine. The Wilsons will do fine if you maintain them when shooting in that realm.

Both are good magazines. Any 8 rounder will tend to be a bit more finicky however.

[This message has been edited by LW McVay (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Metalform mags

Guys, here is an update almost 1 year later :)

I now have 2 Pro's and they are great guns, and to top that with SA customer service is a hard act to follow.

however the metalform mags suck! the only Jams I ever experienced with the gun is with the metalform 7 rounders, the springs are too weak. with the Wilson mags the guns run 100% for thousands of rounds now. I do make sure to change the springs and follower on the wilson mags every 6 months- Cheap Insurance.

Regards,
shay

·
Registered
511 Posts
Shay,

Do your Pros have the Wilson Bulletproof slide stop? I have one I bought new about two or three months ago and it does not have the Bulletproof slide stop.

Anyone else have info on this? I do have another Pro on order.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know if the Extractors are Wilson BP, they look like good quality machined parts and they hold tension well. mine are 10 numbers away from each other in the high 13xx's.

fp stop is MIM and also the grip safety and slide stop. the guns are very well made and very accurate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts