1911Forum banner

Professional or Kobra??

1662 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  hatidua
I'm currently in the market for a high end 1911. I have it narrowed down to two choices, the Springer Professional or the Ed Brown Kobra Full Size. I've looked at all other high end makes and models and these two are at the top of my list. I plan on buying one at the end of the month. I would like to get some opinions from you guys as to which one you would get, or if you have any of these two, tell me your personal experience with either one of these. I currently have Springer Loaded Parkerized which is extremely accurate and very reliable and a Springer Ultra Compact for CCW. I'm very impressed with SA quality and reliability in the two guns I have from them, that's why I'm kinda leaning more toward the Pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Shots, I can only speak on the Pro. I am lucky to have one issued to me that I carry daily. It drives tacks, is extremely reliable, and is worth every cent. As a matter of fact, I recently ordered my own (w/ light mount) for personal carry. I can't speak for the Kobra, but if you like your other Springer, you'll love the Pro.

· Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Both are good pistols, but...

The two pistols aren't similar in any way other than the fact that they are based on the 5" Government Model and use Novak sights. The features, fit, and finish are totally different. Therefore, only you can decide which one fits your needs the best. So how exactly can we be of help? Unless you have specific questions about each that haven't been covered in previous threads, I am unsure of what you are looking for here.

Be well!

· Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dubb-1 said:
The two pistols aren't similar in any way other than the fact that they are based on the 5" Government Model and use Novak sights. The features, fit, and finish are totally different. Therefore, only you can decide which one fits your needs the best. So how exactly can we be of help? Unless you have specific questions about each that haven't been covered in previous threads, I am unsure of what you are looking for here.

Be well!

I'm looking for experiences and possible problems with either of them and opinions from owners like BreacherUp gave. What else could I be looking for besides opionions like EVERYONE else that comes along and asked questions here, that is what gun forums are for right??? It's basically going to be used for ALOT of target shooting out in the desert, and home defense if called upon so they both fit my needs. I understand the finishes are completely different but that's irrelevant to me, since I like both finishes. If I didn't like the finish on either one, it would have been eliminated from the start. I'm ONLY looking for opinions and experiences from owners of either pistol. Does that answer your question better I hope? Thanks

· Registered
809 Posts
I owned a Kobra for some time. I was one of the unlucky ones who had failures to feed regularly. The ramp needed to be recut to a more reliable angle. Apparently, at least with the Brown shop, he's chosen a middle road in feedramp angles. It ended up being a problem for me, but once the angle was changed the gun was a flawless functioner.

The fit and finish of the gun was topnotch--except for a minor issue with the rear sight cut. There was a hairline of visible space between the bottom of the rear sight and the top of the slide. Not a biggie, but if you are anal like I am, it would bug you. I tried to fix this by switching to Heinie sights, but it was even worse. Anyway, the one piece of advice I can give you is, for $2000 don't expect perfection. :) Hard truth to hear, but that's been my experience.

Theo

· Registered
3,900 Posts
Give the nod to the Pro due to more durable finish and rock solid warranty, that being said they are both high quality pistols. I had a Kobra and liked it and have shot a Pro and liked it a bit better. But for the money or close to it I'd get one of the top smiths to build me exactly what I want.

· Premium Member
4,609 Posts
OK, then...

I sell, and own both. They are well built by different companies with different build philosophies, though both are made up of top tier parts. One is tight, the other can be field stripped without tools. One has aggressive frontstrap and MSH treatments, the other is quite tame. One's finish couldn't care less about humidity, the other needs a very close eye. One has a well blended magwell, the other lacks a magwell altogether. One has a lifetime warranty, the other does not. One's rear sight is set at the factory, the other is (intentionally) fit loose enough that the owner will need to sight in and loctite as necessary. One has a 5-6# trigger, the other has a 3.5-4# trigger.

Again, both are well built, but use different philosphies as a base. I own two Pros. That isn't to say that the Pro is automatically better, but it fits my needs better. Both are of high quality, but this is surely a case of apples and oranges. I can see how one could be smitten with both, but I just don't see how they end up fighting for the same position. That was part of the point I was getting at: If one of these pistols is "perfect" for you, then the other one really isn't close. Is it?

Be well!

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
Like BreacherUp! I carry a Pro daily and have done so for the past 5 years. I own more than one. Its an excellent piece matched only by the best customer service from a major manufacturer in the business - bar none! I

You won't be disappointed in the least.

· Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now this is what I was looking for!! :) , great posts and great opinions, thanks guys. I probably will end up going for the Pro, it seems just about every single person that has been fortunate enough to have one has had nothing but good things to say about them, and like I said, both of the Springers I've got have been rock solid in reliability and VERY accurate and as mentioned, you can't beat SA's customer service and warranty. Thanks again guys, if anybody has any more opinions and experiences please keep them coming. I appreciate it.

· Registered
181 Posts
I love my Pro. The action is so buttery smooth, it can't be described by words. I love it so much, I have to order my lonely Pro a brother. Now, I'm just waiting patiently for the second one. It's like a baby, but you don't have to wait 9 months or knock up a woman to get one. :biglaugh:

· Registered
151 Posts
shots1911 said:
I'm currently in the market for a high end 1911. I have it narrowed down to two choices, the Springer Professional or the Ed Brown Kobra Full Size. I've looked at all other high end makes and models and these two are at the top of my list. I plan on buying one at the end of the month. I would like to get some opinions from you guys as to which one you would get, or if you have any of these two, tell me your personal experience with either one of these. I currently have Springer Loaded Parkerized which is extremely accurate and very reliable and a Springer Ultra Compact for CCW. I'm very impressed with SA quality and reliability in the two guns I have from them, that's why I'm kinda leaning more toward the Pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I own a Kobra and a Springer TRP. Since my TRP is superior to the Kobra, I'd think that the Pro would be even more so. Besides that, Springfield will stand by their product to the utmost, while Ed will leave you high and dry once you shelled out the money for his gun. I guess he doesn't expect or care about repeat business. If you have a problem with your Kobra, you will receive the old stone wall treatment. Go with the Springfield. Believe me. Don't make the mistake I did.

· Registered
269 Posts
I have owned both...(along w/ Springer, Baer, NHC, Kimber...)

and think the Kobra is a much better finished product. Ed's attention to detail is second to none. Just finished my 5" Kobra, blued with Nutmeg Ivory Grips (stunning)

For "Combat" Quality 1911's I now prefer NightHawk Custom to Wilson as the quality/reliability is the same, but they are 100% customizable/built to order.

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
mpardun said:
and think the Kobra is a much better finished product. Ed's attention to detail is second to none. Just finished my 5" Kobra, blued with Nutmeg Ivory Grips (stunning)

For "Combat" Quality 1911's I now prefer NightHawk Custom to Wilson as the quality/reliability is the same, but they are 100% customizable/built to order.
I noticed you didn't mention the Professional. And that was the poster's question.

· Registered
60 Posts
Pro

BreacherUp! said:
Shots, I can only speak on the Pro. I am lucky to have one issued to me that I carry daily. It drives tacks, is extremely reliable, and is worth every cent. As a matter of fact, I recently ordered my own (w/ light mount) for personal carry. I can't speak for the Kobra, but if you like your other Springer, you'll love the Pro.

BreacherUp!:

I assume LAPD SWAT? If so, what is the current status on issue weapon for you team, Kimber or Springer? I really like the Pro (allthough we are still using Glock 17's for patrol and SWAT). I'm about to purchase the MC Operator for off-duty carry. What are your thoughts on the differences between the Pro and the Operator?

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
Dave Frost said:
BreacherUp!:

I assume LAPD SWAT?
You know what they say about assuming...

· Registered
3,900 Posts
Dave think.....Federal LE, think HRT not SWAT :)

· Registered
236 Posts
Dubb has two Pros and I have one. he knows me very well since I am at his shop at least once a week. I have been known to be very particular about things, bordering on being a pain in the rear. I LOVE my Pro and when things in my life smooth out but not having to worry about the phone call that my mother has passed I'll be ordering another one to go with it. Can't give it any higher praise than that. Thanks for putting up with me Steve and Dubb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.