1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here in quite some time, apparently. I have been lurking for a long, long time, just never got around to jumping back in to the conversation. Anyway, now is as good of a time as any since I am considering spending big bucks and would like some honest opinions.

I have a Springfield Armory 1911-A1, circa 1990, serial number NM90XXX. I got this gun for my 21st birthday and have put countless rounds through it over the years. It hasn’t been 100% over the years but then again, neither have I. The bottom line is, this pistol is in good, well worn, been shootin’ some, state..........get my meaning?

I am considering sending this pistol in to S.A. to have the “Professional” package done to it. My reasoning behind this is as follows. I recently got the urge to start carrying a 1911 again at work, which is allowed by my Department policy. Secondly, I went to the SHOT show in 2004 and made a point of going around to all the 1911 builders and handling their firearms. The list included Wilson, Les Baer, Kimber, Hans Vang, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Sigarms and assorted other, lesser known smiths and businesses that I can’t recall. Bottom line is, if it was a 1911 at the 2004 SHOT show, I layed hands on it. My recollection was, and is, that the Springfield Professional I handled was the best “feeling” of them all. This is, of course, purely subjective, but I distinctly remember thinking about the Professional, “Man, this is hands down the nicest, tightest, best feeling 1911 here.”

Anyway, I don’t really want another 1911 beyond the two I already have and think it would be a great homage to my father, who bought me the Springer, to have it “done up.” So, has anyone else had the Professional package done to their 1911? Any replies are greatly appreciated........

·
Registered
390 Posts
I haven't had the package done, but I emailed Deb at the Springfield Custom Shop and she said it would take 20-24 weeks to turn my TRP Operator into a Pro. The biggest factor is the time and for the $1600 you'll spend on it, you can buy a pretty nice 1911 for that money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts