1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Professional today and boy, the slide and frame are very, very tight. Is this normal?

I own quite a few 1911s, including a couple of customs by Dave Berryhill and Dave Sams, and I've never seen one this tight before.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Normal for a PRO. Shoot a few hundred rounds and it will losen up. I've seen many reviews where a owner of a new pro has to start the slide back an inch or so pushing the slide on a bench or some such.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I just picked up my Professional today and boy, the slide and frame are very, very tight. Is this normal?

I own quite a few 1911s, including a couple of customs by Dave Berryhill and Dave Sams, and I've never seen one this tight before.
Typical of a Pro.......oil it well and shoot it for 500-600 before cleaning.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

I don't have to use a bench, but a decent amount of elbow grease is needed.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've had the same with a couple of new Les Baer guns and it goes away in a few hundred rounds.

I think a part of the tightness is actually due to the barrel lug lockup. If you remove the barrel and try the slide/frame it won't be nearly as tight

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
old cop has nailed it. The slide and frame are not what is tight. The upper radial lugs and the lower lugs are what give it that "pop" to get it to cycle. That will eventually "shoot-in" and you will have that bank vault feeling when it goes back into battery.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Springfield Loaded my wife gave to me for Christmas 2 years ago was so tight that it would emit a small 'Squeak' when slowly cycled by hand. It has since been shot perhaps 1000 times and has since become oh so smooth. Run your Professional with a light oil for a few hundred rounds then clean and lube as you otherwise would. Also, don't be overly concerned with accuracy and grouping until you feel as though your pistol is broken in.

·
Administrator
18,598 Posts
OP, you are experiencing quality.

·
Registered
293 Posts
a tight 1911.. *Homer drool

·
Registered
93 Posts
How funny! old cop (yes, there are two of us!) and I have had the same experience with Les Baers! I have never had a problem with either of my two Baers either during or after a little break-in period. Some have had problems with their magazines, but that has nothing to do with the tightnness of the gun. As Faawrenchbender said, keep the rails well oiled...not greased....and resist the urge to break it down and clean it for 500 or so rounds. A lightly abrasive slurry will form which will cause the slide, frame, and lugs to seat perfectly. Try it....you'll like it!! :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Pros and similarly top end pistols are tight when new.

Mine has about 7-8K rounds through it currently and its stil the tightest 1911 I own, and the most accurate.

Please dont use the "press the muzzle against the table" method to take it out of lock up. And please do take it out of lock up before rotating the barrel bushing. They are tight for a reason, proper handling will ensure years of trouble free shooting.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It's not a Sams pistol. It is what it is.

I know Dave and have spent many days in his shop and have several pistols by him. Other than Bob Marvel, Ed Masaki, Jerry Keefer or Roddy Toyota there aren't really any peers. I thinks it's unfair to compare a pistol built by one of the greatest gunsmiths in our generation to a factory pistol, a really great one, maybe he best, but still a factory pistol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's not a Sams pistol. It is what it is.

I know Dave and have spent many days in his shop and have several pistols by him. Other than Bob Marvel, Ed Masaki, Jerry Keefer or Roddy Toyota there aren't really any peers. I thinks it's unfair to compare a pistol built by one of the greatest gunsmiths in our generation to a factory pistol, a really great one, maybe he best, but still a factory pistol.
Go easy, friend. I wasn't slamming the Professional or Dave Sams....not by a long shot.

If you read my post carefully, I was wondering if my Pro was too tight or if that was normal for these pistols. It was just a question.

As for the pic request:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I didn't take it as a slam and hopefully didn't convey that. Just different categories. Nothing more than that. Springfield has incredible customer service. If you are worried I would just talk to Dave the custom shop manager. He's a great American and will address any concerns.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts