1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after lookign around, I want a no frills 1911 for some shooting, and self defense. I am pretty much decided on a new stainless colt, any ideas as to the quaility of them, as I cannot look at it since they have to order the damn thing, depending onprice, I might even get the matte. I hate descisions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just bought a new one this week. Matte stainless, Bomar adjustable rear, polished feed ramp, appears to have been throated as well, all from the factory. Will fire it for the first time tomorrow.
What's with this cheap plastic trigger?

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't make up my damn mind on whether or not to get the blued or the stainless, I know how to take care of my firearms, and assuming plenty of shooting, which will ultimatly lastlonger? Also, could one concievably remove the series 80 garbage from the internals, ie: do the sear and disconnect and all the other parts in there have the same overal dimensions? Just curious, I have heard of the things notr firing ebcause of probs with the pin saftey prolly rumors. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Hey,Ugly...
I think the SS would better serve your purpose, either flat or polished.
As for the firing pin block mechanism, yes, you can remove it and replace it all with a plate that Brownells sells really cheap. But be sure and keep those lawyer parts in case you ever decide to sell it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
U-J-T, I noticed your location. If you plan to carry at some point in time, I'd go with the stainless.

The 1991A1 is reliable. I don't think you will go wrong with one. Don't worry about the internal firing pin block. My hasn't caused any problems, and the trigger is just fine.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Take a look at the Commander stainless, it comes with the enhanced 8o Series grip safety (better than a tang imo) and a nice elongated Commander hammer. Mine has the polished flats, it is a very nice looking gun, feels great and I got it for $600.00 out the door. Best bargain on the market in myu opinion!

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the advice, if the price is not that much of a difference, I am gonna go with the stainless, and I don't really like the commanders, I like the full size. I am gonna go check out that sight about removing the saftey, thanks again guys, I love this place, I have been looking in the archives, I can't believe all the topics that have been covered.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Had the same thoughts you were having 6 months ago.

I went blue. Carried it IWB all summer.

The blue is completely gone off a lot of places already, grip safety, front strap, parts of slide and frame, but no corrosion yet. I think it's quite amazing. Tetra gun maybe? I dunno? But,I plan to get it hard chromed later.

I'm O.K. w/ the series 80 stuff. A little tricky to put back in though

The bottom line is: Carbon has done me well, so far. Check back in a year.

Hope this doesn't add to confusion,
Elsworth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts