1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas!!

New to the forums. Just picked up my FIRST pistol, Sig Revolution. Always have shot rifle. When sighting with my Eotech HWS I keep both eyes open, simple and accurate. When using iron sights I keep one eye closed. Is there a proper technique for pistol? I have been told by LEOs that I should only sight with one eye yet an ex-military buddy shoots with both open using iron sights? If I had laser no problem with both open. Sorry for such an elementary question,but what is the "right " technique? I have tried both eyes open but this only seems to work for reflex shooting not true aim at the 10 ring. Any help is appreciated.

JK

btw: love the 1911 platform. Simple, solid satisfying

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Welcome,
In a perfect world, it is always better to use both your eyes. Your brain was desingned this way. It may take time to perfect though. I'll admit, sometimes for a longer distance shot, I will "squint" with my left but I won't close it. I didn't even close it shooting an M24 with a M3A 10x scope. You won't close an eye in a defensive situation where there is an imanate threat. Generaly, a pistol is made for close threats, so more the most part, try and train with both eyes open.
Make sence?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I shoot with both eyes open, focusing on the front sight. Plain black sights are my favorite, no dots or white lines please. Serations on the front sight help me to focus on it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You'll run into different opinions here. I usually keep both eyes open.
Bullseye and combat are two very different things... For combat, put your front sight on the body mass and pull the trigger until the bad guy stops doing what he shouldn't do.
For target, I let the target go blurry and focus on the BACK sight, keeping the front blade in postion in the back notch... this way, even if the gun moves a bit, you'll be shooting parallel to the line of sight, and have a pretty good shot. No time for all this precision in a life and death situation, though.
Marty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts