1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at buying my first 1911. so what are the pro's and con's.

thanks mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a Para P12 with about 2,000 rounds through it. Reliability is outstanding with both handloads and factory ammo.

I think it's a fine combination of capacity, size, weight and firepower for a personal carry gun.

I've made two mods to the gun:
1. Trip to gunsmith for 4# trigger.
2. Converted the recoil spring assembly with an Ed Brown unit. (This is a potential problem area for the P12 only. No other Paras use a stamped recoil spring cap)

I have another .45 (Springfield) and may buy others, but the P12 is my choice for personal carry.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What do you want it for? The pro's are capacity, price and big choice of styles and sizes. Cons are needs trigger job with real parts, frames are softer(Todd Jarrett has some with over 150,000 rounds of full power loads through them) I have three. They work great with longer ammo. They need some work for the standard factory stuff. If you want it for carry they are thick, not a problem for competition. You can go with the LDA which is a really neat toy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bad4U,

Could I get a few details on the "2. Converted the recoil spring assembly with an Ed Brown unit. (This is a potential problem area for the P12 only. No other Paras use a stamped recoil spring cap)"

Do you have a part number or something?

On the subject of paras, My P12 and P13 work very well indeed, nice and accurrate.

There is something lovely about a P13: Browning Hi-Power magazine capacity in .45 ACP!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by kendalaa:

There is something lovely about a P13:

Absolutely - I own two. Both extremely reliable and accurate. (over 6000 rds. thru each).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well....I'm sittin' here scratching my head cause I can't for the life of me figure out which part it is you guys are saying is stamped. The recoil spring plug is a tubular part. How can you stamp that?

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
117 Posts
Same way they stamp a tubular case for brass.

Down side on the Para is that they're not a 1911 in the true sense. They're a hybrid. Not interchangable on parts.

Upside is they're high capacity. I carry an ultra compact P10-45. Excellent gun, but it's NOT a true 1911. For that I go Springfield.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Genghis:
They're a hybrid. Not interchangable on parts.
Wrong Genghis - only the mags, wide body trigger and ramped barrel are proprietary to Para - all other components are interchangeable. (Hammer, sear, disconnector, ejector, extractor, slide stop, firing pin stop, firing pin, etc. ... are all interchangeable - although they may need some fitting, just like any other 1911.)

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
838 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter:
Cons-bad blueing, mine wore out in about two weeks on the frame.
Is there anything one can do to preserve the "blueing"?

BTW I won't be using mine with a holster.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by n2299:

Lock it in a safe, and NEVER touch it!

Blueing is the least durable finish. Not putting it in a holster is going to add a lot of life to the finish, but it will still wear where your hand/finger continuously touches it during firing.

It's a gun - not a piece of art to be hung on the wall!!! Shoot it and the "beauty marks" it develops simply add character to the gun.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Originally posted by n2299:

BTW I won't be using mine with a holster.
Yep, call Tripp Research and have them hard chrome over the blueing to preserve it

I shot a P16 for about a year in USPSA Limited. It is a nice gun, but mine had a tendency to need tweaking about once a month. One of the weak points IMO is the mags. You have to know what to tweak to get the running good. It's not hard, you just have to be aware of it. The slidestop on these(and all high cap 1911s) needs to be tuned or deactivated. The only downside to the frames being soft is they won't feel as if the slide-frame fit is tight as long. They don't reload well at all, despite what some say about double stacks. That was the main reason I decided to switch to an STI, which I recieved two weeks ago. So far I love it.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by PK:
The slidestop on these(and all high cap 1911s) needs to be tuned or deactivated.

PK, what do you mean - deactivated?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Originally posted by PK:
.... The slidestop on these(and all high cap 1911s) needs to be tuned or deactivated. The only downside to the frames being soft is they won't feel as if the slide-frame fit is tight as long....
Excuse my ignorance, but why does it being a high cap 1911 has to do with the slidestop? I thought the only difference between double and single stack is on the grip area of the frame.

Is soft frame a problem specific to Para or to all production 1911s?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Deactivating the slide stop can be done in several ways. I usually take enough off the lug that engages the follower that it won't activate anymore. You can also tune the slide stop using this same lug, simply by taking the frame with the slide stop inserted and seing at which point(read how many rounds are in the mag) when it makes contact. The number should be zero. The reason for this is due to the different geometry of the magazines on hicap the slide stops are prone to engaging the follower too soon, locking the slide prematurely. This is a paticular problem in the 40s. Before I changed it(and after I put a new one in after breaking the old one) my gun would lock back anywhere from the fourth to the last round, but NEVER on an empty mag. This is a well known problem among IPSC shooters. Because you should never run the gun dry shooting IPSC if possible, and Hicap limited guns carry between 18-22 rounds, it's mostly deacitivated. For other purposes I'd be more inclined to tune it, which I have done before, but it's at least a two hour process, with a Dremel and a soft slide stop. I can only imagine with a file and Wilson Bulletproof

1 - 16 of 16 Posts