1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have (or had) a protection dog. What was the breed,level of training and did they ever have to protect you or your family.Got a gsd my self. Family protection trained.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i have 3 chihuahuas that go apesh*t when they see, hear or smell a stranger, i guess they count. ;)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
One overweight 80 lb chocolate lab that will stare at you, and her hyper-active 60 lb. black lab sister that will mess you up! No formal training for either, though the chocolate has that stink-eye down cold.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had one GSD that was trained, the trainer trained me and then I trained the dog. He would alert on a word and either attack or stand down on two other words. I had a second GSD that became uncontrollably aggressive just after his second birthday, he had to be put to sleep. They are great dogs but losing one is like losing a child.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a Doberman. No formal training but none really needed. He is very smart and protective of the family. Great with the kids.

This is him enjoying laying in the guts of a chair cushion he had just ripped up.

View attachment 45978

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gsd

Have two gsd. The female will bark and thats about all but the male is no joke. If a car comes up and they make it out of the car he'll pin them to the side of the car. So much that they can't re open the door to get back in. And can pop the tires on most cars if really pissed off.... But is great w/our kids,family and friends if you know him. We love em.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I don't own anything that is worth my dog getting killed for. I didn't teach him to bark but the male gives a bark to let me know he heard something. After he does his job and barks I take over.

I just got a female last Sept

·
Registered
167 Posts
Four dogs here. They hear a pin drop and they are barking to no end. That in itself lets us sleep better besides having a great alarm system. Let's see, two Yorkies, one Westie and one Rat terrier!!! Yep, 4 little ankle biters!! LOL's
They truly are just like children!!

·
Banned
462 Posts
I have 3 mutts, rescues one and all, who go farkin' nutz when a blade of grass blows the wrong way. They don't like strangers comeing to their door...

They ain't threatining in-and-of themselves but they are an excellent reactive alarm.

VR,
Harold

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Blood thirsty lookin' bunch there Harold!

·
Registered
306 Posts
2 GSD here at home ...training ...constantly...:biglaugh: ...male is the best I ever had ...my female is still a work in progress but she is still young...

·
Registered
865 Posts
The thing about Protection Training...It's about having a dog that will stop...not so much about one that will "Go".

:biglaugh:

·
Banned
462 Posts
Blood thirsty lookin' bunch there Harold!
Make no mistake...they are like coiled, tensioned, spring steel...

The slightest move...

Toward the doggie treat jar...

They are on it...

They are three different varieties of the Rush-in Bear Hound.

They Rush-in to the kitchen and Bear down on the buiscuits... :biglaugh:

VR,
Harold

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have had one GSD that was trained, the trainer trained me and then I trained the dog. He would alert on a word and either attack or stand down on two other words. I had a second GSD that became uncontrollably aggressive just after his second birthday, he had to be put to sleep. They are great dogs but losing one is like losing a child.
Dixie, . . . would you care to share such a wonderful source with all of us??? I have no doubt that this is right up my alley.

I don't have the financial resources to have a dog professionally trained, but I have enough to pay for my training if it is reasonable.

I have determined that there is very likely a GS coming into my future, . . . a white female if I can find her, . . . and I need her to be both an alert dog, and if necessary, a scrapper.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I love GSDs! My GSD is not hyper protective but is good all around family dog. My daughter is deaf and Zeus our GSD seems to know that. He is very protective of her and woe be to anyone that has ill intentions toward her...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 2 dachsunds and a boxer. One of the dachsunds is looking for a reason to bark which makes the others bark as well. The boxer is real protective over wife and kid. As stated in another post he jump through a screen window after a salesman, luckily my wife stopped him halfway through the window cause I am pretty sure it would of not been good for that guy

·
Registered
890 Posts
Dont have true protection dogs, but would like to some day, maybe a properly trained "true" german shepherd.
We have the two dogs here with us, and one with in-laws next door.
Sam and Zeus live with us. Sam is a portly 90 pound black american lab, and Zeus is a surprisingly thin 110 pound alaskan malamute and wolf mix. Sam is fairly alert and protective, barks and snarls at strangers and bumps in the night. Zeus is useless. If he had thumbs, he would help the men in ski masks load our tv into their van just to make a friend. :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 226 Posts