1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a NIB Protector, compact size, black armor tuff finish all over. The test target with pistol shows date of October 30, 2001. Evidently this was one that was put away for some time. Can anyone help me with a bit of history, etc. - serial # 004856. Does anyone know if it is stainless underneath the AT finish and was it manufactured with any MIM parts? I spoke with a Wilson rep. but he didn't seem to be able to help much. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Based on your description of the pistol, what you have appears to be a carbon steel Protector compact with all black Armor-Tuff (think CQB compact...).

I doubt that they would AT over Stainless Steel...doesn't make sense to me (having both belt and suspenders come to mind). SS minimizes rusting, so does AT...

All carbon steel Protectors were built up with MIM hammers, sears, and slidestops (just as the CQBs were before 2003).

The CQB was the reason the carbon steel Protector line was eventually discontinued (The carbon steel Protector was essentialy a CQB with a FLGR). The two tone SS Protector is still available however and has always been made with EDM hammers and sears.

There is always a possibility that some of the carbon steel Protectors could have been built up with upgraded hammers and sears. That would be evident by the bill of sale from Wilson or if Wilson had records (which it sounds like they don't).

Absent of any records, one check you could do is look for the MIM ejection mark on the hammer surface. I saw it on mine (before I got it swapped with a trigger job). However, if you can't find it, I would still assume that it is in fact MIM.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Budman,

One other question...

Does the test target say the model of the pistol?

For example: W-P-T-A

That information would be somewhat helpful...

By the way, welcome and congrats on what appears to be a great pistol. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.:)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Protector's were not made with MIM parts. I know mine ( Service Grade Protector) has no MIM parts. :confused:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't know about the Protectors built by Wilson when they used the "Service Grade" designations, but the CQBs and carbon steel Protectors built around the 2001 timeframe were definitely built with MIM hammers, sears, and slidestops. "Service Grade" Protectors probably were built up with tool steel hammers and sears.

My carbon steel Protector was also built around late 2001 and it definitely had a MIM hammer and sear. Wilson Combat confirmed this fact about the carbon steel Protectors during a phone call.

In 2003, the CQBs began using EDM hammers and sears and also saw an increase in MSRP by approximately $100.00.

Again, its possible that a particular CQB or Protector could have been built up with an EDM hammer and sear. It seemed popular before 2003 to request an upgrade when placing orders with Wilson. But as a standard model, the pre-2003 CQBs or carbon steel Protectors were made with MIM hammers, sears, and slidestops.

The Stainless Steel Protectors are made with EDM hammers and sears.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDM parts??

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to contact Wilson about the MIM parts - don't care for them at all - bought a Kimber Ultra Carry and had the thumb safety break off on me - could still use it but shouldn't have happened. Sent it back to Kimber - no problem, fixed and got it back within 3-4 days.
Guess I will schedule this to go back to Wilson if MIM parts are there and have them switched for 'bullet proof' or such.
Also bought a Ed Brown Kobra - nice gun! Almost too nice for carry all the time. I am a LEO so the Wilson will be my off-duty carry but only when parts are replaced. Have been carrying Kimber Compact or Sig 245.
Again, thanks for replies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Model of pistol

Jimbo - Looked up the target and it shows the gun model to be WPC-T-A. Also, was dated 10/31/01 not 10/30 as I said before. I can only make a guess as to what the letters mean. Thanks again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Budman,

Be careful with your comparisons between Wilson MIM parts and Kimber MIM parts. It has been stated here that Kimber QC isn't the greatest (look at their sheer volume). Different story with Wilson Combat. Not all MIM is created equal.

Run a search on MIM and you'll see this issue has been hotly debated.

Bottom line... QC is an important aspect when manufacturing MIM parts. While Kimber parts have failed (and several members have indeed reported them; you aren't the first), you won't find the same track record with Wilson MIM parts (I have yet to hear from anyone with Wilson MIM parts report a failure).

That being said, to each his own...if you want tool steel hammers and sears and you don't want MIM, that's your perogative. I had them on my gun and had it changed with a trigger job...more of a "want" than a "need"...
personal choices...:)

Just remember, if you do decide to change out the hammer and sear, you'll also pay for a trigger job, so factor that into the cost if you go down that road...

By the way...EDM stands for Electrical Discharge Machining (which is what Wilson Combat uses to machine their tool steel hammers and sears).

The model code WPC-T-A: Wilson Protector Compact, Tactical Safety, Armor-Tuff

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I dug out an old 2001 Wilson Master Catalog.
These are the parts that they used on the Protector.
Guide Rod #25G Full Length w/Plug
Barrel: #33 Stainless Match w/Bushing, handfit
Ejector: #34 Tactical, Extended
Hammer: #455B Speed
Sear: #314
Grip Safety: #298B High Ride beavertail
Thumb Safety: #6BN Tactical, Extended
Trigger: #190 ultralight crisp 3.5#-4# pull

hope any of this helps

By the way I have the Stainless Protector. I choose this over the CQB. This is the best shooting gun I have ever owned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all - I appreciate your time and effort. Wrote to Wilson last evening - hope they kept records and all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks Ford for getting that information from your catalog.

The 455B Hammer and the 314C Sear are both MIM parts ("Value line" series).

By the way, wilsoncombat.com still sells these parts on their website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts