1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Does anyone know how the mythical 2015 Protector Elite is optioned out off-the-shelf? Apparently it is a Sports-South distributor exclusive, but like RSR, Lipseys, etc., Sports-South doesn't have anything besides generic info about the gun on their site.

Rail? Frame material? Magwell? Ambi safety? Finish? Sights? Various other canned options?

I say mythical because I cannot find a Protector Elite on the WC website, all vendors who are selling it have nothing besides canned dimension figures, and even a WC rep via email comms today couldn't tell me much beyond the Sports-South tidbit. Since it is a distributor exclusive, I would guess the guns are optioned very similarly, if not exactly, but no one knows anything about it. If anyone could share info, I'd appreciate it... pics would be even better. :rock:

·
Registered
27 Posts

I just picked up one these. Steel frame (brushed SS) with duty coated slide. One piece MSH/magwell, WC Battlesight rear paired with tritium front sight. No rail, minimal markings. FLGR. Front cocking serrations. Slide rear surface also serrated.

Have not shot it yet but will before the end of the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So on BGS it has the following description from the WC website:

Every Protector has all the features selected for the Wilson Combat rendition of the ultimate modern tactical handgun including a fluted tactical cone barrel, round butt, one-piece Bullet Proof magwell and a unique slide profile that wears both Wilson Combat signature carry cuts and abbreviated front cocking serrations-a unique styling feature of this model.

Sights are listed as FO front and blade rear. Grips are black G10 starburst and total weight is 40oz empty. Weight figure makes me think it is a steel frame, but still would like to be sure these aren't generic numbers or specifications. And of course what makes this "Elite" over the regular Protector.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Being the Elite designation does this mean it has a flanged barrel?

·
Registered
8,012 Posts

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Not necessarily. The CQB Elite doesn't have a flanged barrel. But having not seen the gun in question, I can't say this Protector Elite doesn't.

The specs say "tactical cone barrel". I'm not exactly sure what that means. The following link says the same thing, but shows a cone barrel with no flange. http://www.range365.com/first-look-wilson-combat-protector
True about the CQB Elite. I was thinking since they all have a cone (bull) barrel on the website this one may have a flange. Just a guess and it really doesn't matter. :)

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
True about the CQB Elite. I was thinking since they all have a cone (bull) barrel on the website this one may have a flange. Just a guess and it really doesn't matter. :)
I see what you're saying, and I agree. If this particular gun is indeed a Protector Elite, then it must have something different from a regular Protector. A flanged barrel may be the difference. If so, that would be a pretty sweet gun.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Maybe just a special run for the distributor, a different name and a premium price for the seller? Tactical Cone Barrel and Bull Barrel are interchangeable phrases...

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Maybe just a special run for the distributor, a different name and a premium price for the seller? Tactical Cone Barrel and Bull Barrel are interchangeable phrases...
Oh, ok. I havn't heard "tactical cone barrel" before. I've heard "cone barrel" and "bull barrel", though.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Oh, ok. I havn't heard "tactical cone barrel" before. I've heard "cone barrel" and "bull barrel", though.
Me neither. New one on me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought one of these. Took possession yesterday.Here's what it looks like.

Two toned, steel gun. No cone/bull barrel. Standard barrel with FLGR. Battlesight rear sight. Tritium dot front. Front cocking serrations but minimal markings otherwise. Dehorned for carry.

Just 150 rounds so far but operation has been flawless.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Tactical Cone Barrel and Bull Barrel are interchangeable phrases...
Agree, especially because this description is used by Wilson Combat.
Marketing...

Wilson Combat web site said:
Every 2015 Protector® has all the features selected for our rendition of the ultimate modern tactical handgun including a fluted tactical cone barrel...
Isn't the dealer's text just a copy & paste of Wilson's text?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Agree, especially because this description is used by Wilson Combat.
Marketing...

Isn't the dealer's text just a copy & paste of Wilson's text?
I thought the same thing Birdy, looks like the SAME gun at an over inflated price. Buy it from George or Tractus for 10% off MSRP, NOT 10% OVER....

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
The protector elite is not a 2015 protector guys...its a "dealer special" for a distributor based off the old Protector model with these options...and in MY OPINION it is poorly named.

Protector Elite, .45
Base model: Protector (old model) two-tone (stainless frame)
Add/Change: Slide top serrations, 1 piece magwell, rear of slide serrated, tritium front sight, rough texture starburst grips

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The protector elite is not a 2015 protector guys...its a "dealer special" for a distributor based off the old Protector model with these options...and in MY OPINION it is poorly named.

Protector Elite, .45
Base model: Protector (old model) two-tone (stainless frame)
Add/Change: Slide top serrations, 1 piece magwell, rear of slide serrated, tritium front sight, rough texture starburst grips
[Sarcasm]Great...[/Sarcasm].
It's not only poorly named but they also copy/pasted the description of the new Protector.

What about the barrel? Bushing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts