1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my new Stainless Protector today. In my first 25 rounds I had 3 times that the slide did not return to battery. I would not notice this untill I pulled the trigger and nothing would happen. I would then have to push the slide forward just slightly so that it would return to it's normal position. I also had one FTF. So my question is, will the problem with the slide work it's self out. I am guessing that this happened because the slide to fram fit is soooooo tight.
You can also check out my post in range report.

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Ford,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It really takes a while to break in some Wilsons. It's just the luck of the draw, I guess. If, after putting a few hundred rounds through the gun, the problem still exists, it will be time to call the experts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
First of all. Congratulations to you Ford for FINALLY getting that gun. My Wilson Classic and Baer C5 did the same things during the break in period, but now run flawlessly. I gave them both a little help and switched to Wilson #18 recoil springs and the guns have NEVER choked since I made the switch. I highly reccomend going to the #18 spring if you shoot factory 230 gr.ammo. If you reload you may have to adjust the weight a bit, but the stock Wilson spring errs on the light side I feel.

·
Registered
510 Posts
FFOORRDD!! Congrats on completing another "wait" period!

I shot my brand new standard Protector for the first time yesterday,, 250 AE230,, 28 HS230. No muss, no fuss, perfect function so far.

My recoil spring looks and feels like an 18# to me, the specs at the website say HD Recoil spring.

Like Traevin and MPower say, don't fret, it sounds like what you're seeing is a break-in issue. It'll probably straighten out quickly.

Oops - I just went and read the Range Report,,, it sounds to me like it might have already seated/cured,,, I was gonna offer to take that rust proof clunker off yer hands but it sounds like it's already had an effect on you

All indications are that mine is the best 1911 pattern pistol I've ever shot. Measured that supersweet trigger today,, repeatably 3.25 lbs. Sights are set up perfectly for my eyes and ammo, and ya gotta love that new #463 shape and picture. Shot some of the best groups of my life yesterday, thing is... I didn't think I was really trying that hard to make pretty targets. The front strap checkering combined with the sight and trigger quality will most likely result in better scores quicker. Quicker is gooder. Blah, blah, blah... I didn't wanna gush, but Ford made me.

Ford, good luck with the new shooter!

P.S. What are you on the wait list for now?

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats Havoc. Sounds like you might like your new gun a little bit.

I have been taking my vitamins and saying my prayers every night that Missouri will some day soon pass the CCW law. Then I think I want a KZ-45 compact. I figure with my luck I better order it now so that I will have it in time.

Thanks MPower, I will take a look at the recoil spring.

------------------

·
Registered
291 Posts
Havoc and Ford. I thought the spring in my Wilson came from the factory with an #18 also, until I actually bought a Wilson #18 from my dealer. It is about 1/4" longer and is obviously and clearly much stiffer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had my Millenium Protector for a couple of months. I've shot 2,000 rounds thru it with NO malfunctions. Most were my reloads with lead bullets. The folks at Wilson advised that the MP comes with a 18 1/2 lb spring from their shop. I shot approx. 700 rounds last weekend in a class with Ken Hackathorn, the Wilson performed flawlessly. Needless to say, I'm happy with my pistol.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
Son.

Your gun sounds like a real POS. Send it to me. I will take care of it for you.

I bought the three surviving test guns from Kalifornia and the Scott McDougal and Associates magazine article.

I use the full size CQB as a demo gun. I currently have somewhere around 2K out of it plus the test and mag article.

It is horrible. NO JAMs even with my super dirty, out of spec, crummy reloads, made with my own "wheelweight" cast bullets and ten year old AA-5 powder.

One day I will actually clean the thing. Instead of just wiping out the outside and squirting some oil on it. I show the gunk to anyone who wants to check it out....... The potential can play, dry fire or whatever (within reason of course), my gun, not the merchandise (do you want an $1800 gun a whole bunch of folks have gotten to go ooooohhhhhh , aaaahhhhh, slam, snap, clip a couple a hundred times).

Yes, the armortuff is wearing as it should after a few hundred or so holsterings.

A note on the side here. A cheap made holster will take a blue, as well as armortuff or any other finish off like sand paper. (I have bare metal where NP3 used to be from a cheap holster) Yes, I learned the hard way too. I got exactly what I paid for.

Any quality holster of Alessi, Sparks, Rosen or comparible quality will have some wear but definately not like the "get what you pay for production stuff."

Well, Ford glad all is finally working out for you and your protector.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Terry,
Hey, whats the availablity on a Commander sized pistol from Ed Brown?
You can just drop me an e-mail if you would like.

------------------

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Ford:
Thanks Terry,
Hey, whats the availablity on a Commander sized pistol from Ed Brown?
You can just drop me an e-mail if you would like.

The next time I drop big bucks on another 1911 I think it will be a Brown too...Be sure to post a report for us when you get it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts