1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the differences in the protector and the CQB?

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
Protector:
Full length guide rod
Armor tuff black finish
No MIM parts

CQB:
Standard short rod and plug
Armor tuff green on frame and black on slide
MIM hammer, trigger, sear, disconnector (I think)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both the CQB and the Protector have MIM parts.

I think all the talk of MIM is overrated. MIM if done correctly produces an acceptable product (I was a engineer in my former life)

However, if you buy the Protector stainless, you will not find the MIM parts as found on the standard Protector. The stainless parts are all machined.

The only differences between the two guns are the color, the name and the fact that the CQB does not use a full length guide rod. Otherwise the same gun.

If you are interested in a Wilson, talk to Terry Peters at www.pt-partners.com or Allan Yoast. I have bought a gun from Allan and have talked to Terry about other 1911s. You can find their numbers on the Wilson website. Both are Master dealers and very knowlegdable about the Wilson line as well as other 1911's. Both are truely nice guys and will set you up with the right gun.

Hope this helps.

Edwin

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Something else...

According to the pictures, the protector does not have armor tuff on the trigger while the CQB does. If you get the CQB, request the trigger not be treated with armor tuff. It just scratches and the aluminum trigger doesn't need to be treated since it isn't going to rust. A clean looking untreated trigger looks better than a treated trigger with scratch marks where the armor-tuff is missing.

You don't have to order a gun as it comes in the catalog. You can make the CQB all one color, replace MIM parts with Wilson's CNC parts and so on. What you can't do is have Wilson's name removed from the gun or stuff like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am relatively new to 1911's. I have spoken with Terry Peters myself about both the CQB and Protector, and I am getting awful close to ordering one of the two. Terry has informed me that the only difference between the two guns is the color and guide rod in the Protector. Forgive me if I ask a stupid question, but what is the advantage of the full length guide rod? What is one giving without the guide rod?

------------------
Junior

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't see that there is any advantage to having a guide rod except that it may add a small amount of weight to the muzzle end of the gun.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Actually, the color and the guide rod are not the only differences. Go to the Wilson Combat web site and compare listed parts side by side and you will find one or two additional parts that are different, the Protector having the CNC (perceived as better and also more expensive if ordered as a separate part) part and the CQB with the MIM part. Also, the Protector costs a few bucks more as a result.

Arguements for or against a full length guide rod really seem to boil down to opinion. The only true advantage of the FLGR that I see is the added weight to the muzzle end of the gun that will help reduce muzzle flip during recoil. This is only a slight difference and some people won't even notice the difference.

I am posting a new thread on the first 1070 rounds with my CQB. It might give you some additional information for your decision.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I haven't shot the Protector, but if it's anywhere near as good as the CQB, and you have the money, I bet you'll end up loving it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts