1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, on my lunch break, I picked up my Mil-Spec---my first 1911 size .45 shooting instrument. What a sweet piece!

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Congratulations! I've been considering one in .38 Super myself.
Let us know how it shoots when you get the chance.

Mac

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Today, on my lunch break, I picked up my Mil-Spec---my first 1911 size .45 shooting instrument. What a sweet piece!
I'm hoping to purchase a Mil-Spec too (though I'm still considering a 1991A1 as well). Be sure to let us know how it performs!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will certainly do that.

------------------

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey GI-45,
Greetings from down the coast in So Cal! Anti-gun capital of the world!

Get both the Colt and SA! I did and like them both for different reasons. They have different feels. If you want, I have an extra 1991A1 I'd let go if you want. Let me know!

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Originally posted by hoser:
Get both the Colt and SA! I did and like them both for different reasons. They have different feels. If you want, I have an extra 1991A1 I'd let go if you want. Let me know!
Yeah, that would be the ideal decision. Unfortunately, I'm a typical starving college student right now; no money! Well, not a lot anyway. So for now, it's one or the other. And to be honest, I'm leaning towards the Mil-Spec right now. But thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have a new Mil Spec 38 Super. After the first 100 rounds when I had a few failures to latch on last round, it has performed so well I have named it Pink Bunny. It is just like the little Eveready bunny in the TV commercials. It just keeps goin and goin and goin. One of the best buys I ever made.
And accurate as my Trophy Match!!!!

------------------
John

·
Registered
184 Posts
Kevan, "riddle me this" No, just kidding. Can you help me with a question(or anyone for that matter) The Springfield site shows the Mil Spec operator to have front slide serrations but one I found on Auction arms..the picture shows that it doesnt. Does it or doesnt it? I am trying to find a way to justify getting one sonner than the projected self imposed 2 month wait. I am in the process of retrofiting a SA. Thanks!

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it doesn't have front slide serrations/checkering. I don't know why they posted that photo, but it's incorrect. The Mil-Spec is pretty much just like the stock GI-issue with the exception of the 3-Dot sights and the stupid integral gun lock in the mainspring housing assy. I really like mine and am very satisfied with it.

P.S.---- I bought mine on lay-away. See if your local gun shop can help you out with a lay-away.

------------------

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Bought a Springfield Mil-Spec myself ... going to pick it up tomorrow morning! K
Sunday the 15th at 0800 hours Ill be shooting my Mil. Spec. in the Borrego Desert east of San Diego.
OK, we'll be expecting a range report from you too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by GI-45:
OK, we'll be expecting a range report from you too!
Yeah, now that you mention it, I should probably do something with the 500 rounds of .45 ACP ball ammo sitting in my closet.
By the way, this is my first gun (ever), so I'm not sure if I'll be able to offer much in the way of intelligent commentary. I'll do my best.

In the meantime, here's a pic I took this afternoon:

K

[This message has been edited by Kirb (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey that looks like my Mil. Spec. They could be twins. I shot mine yesterday in the desert. 100 rounds PMC 230 gr ball had several failure to feeds from full magazine. 200 rds. Federal American Eagle 230 gr ball not a single problem. Here is the list of ammo my Mil. Spec. doesn't like.

Speer Lawman 230gr ball.
PMC 230 gr ball.

I had four-five inch groups at 25 yards into a head wind. I guess thats ok.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Here is the list of ammo my Mil. Spec. doesn't like.
Speer Lawman 230gr ball.
PMC 230 gr ball.
Wow, that is really good to know, thanks. I use PMC .30-06 for my M1 Garand, and it loves it. So I was planning to purchase some of their .45 ACP ammo in bulk. Looks like I should try Federal instead. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
Speer Lawman 230gr ball.
Whoops. Just bought some of that. Well, I guess we'll see how picky my 1911 is.

K

[This message has been edited by Kirb (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The first 300 rds. through my SA Champ were Speer Lawman 230 HB...No problems at all...Try some S&B as well, it's a good ammo for practice and such...The Speer measures at 1.250 OAL and the S&B measures out at 1.265 OAL...both are close to or right on spec...

ps...the more you shoot ,the better it'll run

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by gyp_c:
The first 300 rds. through my SA Champ were Speer Lawman 230 HB...No problems at all...Try some S&B as well, it's a good ammo for practice and such...The Speer measures at 1.250 OAL and the S&B measures out at 1.265 OAL...both are close to or right on spec...

ps...the more you shoot ,the better it'll run
Thanks for the advice -- sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. I'll make sure I get some good mags before I head out to the range on Thursday, too.

K OUT

1 - 20 of 21 Posts