1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned my PT1911 for many years and was never able to fix this problem. Halfway through the mag the casing would get caught in the slide on the way out (did not fully eject).
Anyone ever seen this issue or have suggestions on where to start?

More details:
  • Day at the range; Early on it seemed usually the first mag would empty ok, then about halfway through the second mag is usually where the trouble started. Later on I would occasionally see an issue towards the end of the first mag. Rarely, but sometimes, I saw the first or second round in the mags fail ejection.
  • Ammo; tried several different types and manufacturers, could not find much of a difference.
  • Magazines; stock, TAURUS brand magazines. Curious if worn out mags might be an issue & if anyone has tried EB 1911 Performance Mags...?
  • Maintenance; I've always kept my guns clean and well lubricated, I was told that the PT1911 like to run a little wet; I've tried it lightly, moderate and really wet, none solved the problem (and really wet led to excess blowing off).

·
Registered
33 Posts
That could likely be an extractor problem as far as I can tell.
You can test your extractor reliability it this way: load the chamber, remove the magazine, and then fire. Repeat a couple times. The case should consistantly eject. If it does not (and I bet it will not given the problem you describe), your extractor has a problem. A new extractor one or serious work on the currect one is necessary.
I bet that the fully loaded magazine is working as a crutch for a weak or otherwise imoproperly fit extractor. That cruch becomes less and less useful as it empties and the rounds push up slower (the new round coming up slower may, I suppose, give less support to the case being extracted).
Beware, there is a lot more to the extractor than just putting more tension on it by bending. Steve in Allentown has a ton of helpful information on this subject.
That article helped cure my 1911 to bring it to 100% extraction reliability. It all may need to be done by a gunsmith depending on what kind of work you are confortable with and what tools you have..

·
Premium Member
15,374 Posts
That's a good test and it probably is the extractor. Other things you can do now that certainly won't hurt but might not solve it; remove the extractor, clean it and the extractor bore just to make sure dirt is not restricting its movement. Also with the slide off, place a loaded round on the breech face and under the extractor claw. Let it go and see if the round falls out. It should not fall out. If it does or hangs down at more than a 10-15 degree angle, the extractor has to be adjusted. It probably won't be too tight and hold the round straight out, but that is an easy adjustment of taking some arc out of the extractor (flattening just a little bit).
My Taurus:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts