1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, 1st post here.

I am going to be buying my first 1911 and I had it narrowed down to the PT1911SS, but someone through me a curveball.

I have the chance to pick up an older (maybe 10 years) Dan Wesson Pointman, blued for $500. Not knowing to much about the 1911, what say you?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
One thing to consider is that the PT1911 comes standard with many upgrades.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Depends on which model Pointman. Got any more info?

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do you figure that they look like hell? Educate me on this please. I have 1200 rounds through my PT1911 without a hitch. The gun is EXTREMELY accurate and has performed flawlessly since I purchased it. It looks like every other 1911 on the planet. So how does it look like hell?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
DW. Having never owned a DW, but having had a Taurus I know they "look" custom but the quality isn't there.
How do you figure that they look like hell? Educate me on this please. I have 1200 rounds through my PT1911 without a hitch. The gun is EXTREMELY accurate and has performed flawlessly since I purchased it. It looks like every other 1911 on the planet. So how does it look like hell?
That's like saying a Katana looks like every other sportbike on the planet, but I can tell you the difference is in the build quality. Small items here and there make the big difference.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow, I guess I hit a nerve. I assume you don't have much experience with 1911s, because saying the PT looks like every other 1911 proves it. 1911s are about the details and fit. I have the PT1911 as well, along with many other 1911s. I don't like the checkering, the hammer, the lock, or the finish. I have the blued model. I bought it because I collect 1911s. Mine has also been 100% reliable. I didn't say it was a bad gun, but its not what I call a quality 1911. I'd rather have a smooth front strap instead of those hideous marks they call checkering. The upgrades are a selling point, but I'd rather Taurus concentrate on quality over quantity. I'd rather they build a higher quality pistol with less upgrades than to throw in all that nonsense.

So to educate you, the PT1911 isn't even close to the quality of a Dan Wesson. I was just comparing them and its like night and day. Besides the ugly upgrades on the PT, the fit and finish is lacking. Also, the gun is loose, not tight like a good 1911 should be.

Dan Wesson models are solid mid range 1911s. The PT is a low end model through and through. Besides the price, the reasons are obvious to anyone who knows these guns.

I have them all, so I know. Does this clear it up for you?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Taurus quality is hit and miss with all thier guns. CZ/Dan Wesson quality is outstanding. It's a no brainer. Buy the Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The last taurus we got in the shop, brand new, from the factory, had all of the "custom" features that make the gun sell. Problem was the front sight was rediculously loose, the ambi safety's left thumb side fell out after clicking the safety on and off and the magazines wouldn't drop from the gun. Not the first time I've seen problems with the pt1911, just a good example.

Dan Wesson all the way.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The last taurus we got in the shop, brand new, from the factory, had all of the "custom" features that make the gun sell. Problem was the front sight was rediculously loose, the ambi safety's left thumb side fell out after clicking the safety on and off and the magazines wouldn't drop from the gun. Not the first time I've seen problems with the pt1911, just a good example.

Dan Wesson all the way.
I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree with Richard and the vast majority on the Dan Wesson. I purchased a Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail in .45AP this week and spent the afternoon yesterday putting 300 rounds of various factory through it without a hiccup. The fit/finish is stellar - close tolerances without being so close as to cause a malfunction. The trigger breaks like glass at about 3.5lbs.

Like others have pointed out here, you get "custom" upgrades (Ed Brown parts and Wolf springs) on a factory issue in a mid-point price range with the Dan. While the PT1911 has some "custom parts", it is the assembly and attention to detail of the entire package that truly matters in the end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts