1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good Article

I e-mailed him my kudos along with my thoughts on his usage of the term 'Yankee'. I am not a 'darn Yankee' though as even of Southern heritage, I had to come back to my beloved Indiana after living in Georgia and Alabama.
The guy reminded me of Lewis Grizzard.

Garry

Please accept the following as humor:
"The best thing 'bout the South is the Interstate goin' North!"
My father.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Good Article

geeman said:
Please accept the following as humor:
"The best thing 'bout the South is the Interstate goin' North!"
My father.
For 'yankees', that is absolutely correct. Too bad they all have to be in the left hand lane, traveling at a blistering 50mph!:barf: :D

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Born , raised, and will die in the south God willing... Amen :) :> ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NaturalSelector said:
Born , raised, and will die in the south God willing... Amen :) :> ;)
I hear ya. BTW, how's Mickey and Goofy?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Pretty good, we have season passes so I actually go alot :)))
They told me to tell you to come down and spend your money on them hehehe ;)

Florida is ok, but I miss Texas and Tennessee :>

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NaturalSelector said:
They told me to tell you to come down and spend your money on them hehehe ;)
I'd be afraid of hitting them on gay day or something. I was actually born in Brandon, FL. O.k. place to visit I guess, but I'll stay in good 'ol Bama, thaks very much!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Hahaha gay day thats funny hehe.... And the only time I did in bama was in selma.. Whew scary place ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, scary if your, well...

Matter of fact, I'm gonna be over that way this weekend (outside Selma). Damn fine bucks in the black belt...

·
Registered
259 Posts
look away, look away, drive away

Recently I talked to an illegal alien about his coming here to live and work- accepting the stigma and low pay...
He said that they were tired of living in poverty.
His story reminded me of my father's about he and his brother getting in a car with not much in personal possessions and driving 'up North' (from Alabama)in pursuit of a better life. They got good paying jobs that the South did not have. Called 'hillbillies' they suffered the same stigma the mexican did and I did when I lived in the South. Statistically, median income, mortality rate, education, Indiana compares favorably to most Southern States-Consult an Almanac or any reference vol. at the library. That trip 'up North' ranks right up there with crossing the Atlantic to me.
There's a standing joke in the area where my folks lived. When someone asks why are there so many hillbillies living here the answer was that this is where they ran out of gas trying to get to Chicago--for good jobs
You all enjoy your heritage and beautiful weather, I enjoy mine.

Y'all have a gooden naw, ya hear?
Garry

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Recently I talked to an illegal alien about his coming here to live and work- accepting the stigma and low pay...
Should'a turned him in:hrm:

There's some truth to what you say, but remember to factor in the cost of living. Even if I could make more up north, I wouldn't go, but that's just me.

And the girls up north tend to be, how should I say, not quite as aesthetically pleasing? as the girls down here. And forget about a tan...

Take care.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
For me its some long lived grudge or hatred for the north or the carpet bagging summabitches that move down here ;) :>

Its a matter of what I deem "beauty" to be. I grew up in the hills of the smokey mountains. Spent my days in cades cove hiking, fly fishing, camping , ect....Spent alot of time in the family cabin and enjoying the nature aspect of it. I just prefer the mannerisms, hospitality, and beauty that the south provides. I have been alot of places out west and up north. I have seen similar beauty in maine, pennsylvania, ect... But something just doesn't "settle" with me there. I have lived in the carolinas, tennessee, arkansas, texas, virginia, and currently florida. I just love the south and all it entails. The northern vs southern thing is mostly just banter amongst friends :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10-4

One correction: it's sumbitch, not summabitch:cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Aw dadblame it!

Guys,
You (yall) won't get (gyit) much of an argument out of (outer) me!
(or. simply) Uh huhh...

I agree on all counts. I believe that you can see Heaven from the Wal-mart parking lot in Ft. Payne. That is if you're looking up at the mountains (Sand and Lookout).

This argument has always been tough for me. I'm the firstborn YANKEE in the family. I can't win this one either way.
BTW, People here thinks it's COOL that my children are respectful using "Sir" and M'am".

Tip your hat to Dixie for me.

"(Indiana) is my home." John Mellencamp in Stand for something.

Enjoy, Garry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts