1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Public attitudes toward gun control have shifted strongly over the past 50 years, according to Gallup polling. In 1959, 60 percent of respondents said they favored a ban on handguns except for "police and other authorized persons." Gallup's most recent annual crime survey in October found 71 percent opposed such a ban."

Link to article: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/12/states-ease-restrictions-gun-laws/?test=latestnews

I would have bet anything the numbers would have been the direct opposite. Maybe things aren't as bad as we thought. Could it be that people are learning and are better informed thanks to the internet and the new media?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm in favor of gun control.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

But seriously, back then people stayed out of police business and let the cops do their job. When a bad guy went to jail, he was shunned not pittied. When a bad guy got shot, he was wrong & the police were earning their keep.

Now days there are groups that take weeks to Monday morning quarterback a decision that the police had only seconds to make. PC has defanged/declawed the CJ system to the point of its being a laughing stock. The bad guys have more rights than the victims & Parole runs a revolving door in the prisons.

Attitudes have changed because all of this emboldens the bad guys to the point that people know they must defend themselves until the cops arrive. Which only starts the farce all over again.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I think the more likely explanation for the shift is information being more readily available, and available from independent sources.
Back then, the Left Stream Media still had their monopoly on "truth" intact.
Not so anymore.
Of course, they are trying to regain said monopoly through the ironically named "fairness doctrine".(coming soon to a radio station near you!)

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
That's some pretty nice 'control' there, Mr. Macklin! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Slight rant but hear me out.

Sheeple these days expect everything to be done for them, period.

My wife and I have noticed in the past 15 years that our country has become a society of people that feel "Entitled."

What this means is that everyone expects something from you. For example;

'Why wasn't law enforcement there when that school shooting occurred? They should have been instantly transported there from the star ship enterprise.' As opposed to; 'Me and my wife both carry. We expect no help from anyone. If we are forced into a situation where we need to use lethal force we are prepared.

The fact that more people are against firearms is no surprise, and just goes to show that people want someone else to do the shooting/protecting for them, rather than take the responsibility themselves. See the thread in LEGAL about the shooting in VA. for further affirmation.

·
Registered
651 Posts
That's some pretty nice 'control' there, Mr. Macklin! :biglaugh:
I just found a good picture with Google. Never bothered to take pictures of my targets.:):biglaugh:
The problem with gun control is that people want to think a law makes safety. Facts show that isn't true, but such thinking is painful for children of voting age.

But everybody will laugh if you tell them this joke.

Marshal Dillon, Marshal Dillon, the outlaws are going to attack the stage when it leaves Dodge, what shall we do?

Take the guns away from the passengers to avoid violence.:biglaugh:

Yet they think disarming bus, train and airline passengers makes it safe.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Slight rant but hear me out.

Sheeple these days expect everything to be done for them, period.

My wife and I have noticed in the past 15 years that our country has become a society of people that feel "Entitled."

What this means is that everyone expects something from you. For example;

'Why wasn't law enforcement there when that school shooting occurred? They should have been instantly transported there from the star ship enterprise.' As opposed to; 'Me and my wife both carry. We expect no help from anyone. If we are forced into a situation where we need to use lethal force we are prepared.

The fact that more people are against firearms is no surprise, and just goes to show that people want someone else to do the shooting/protecting for them, rather than take the responsibility themselves. See the thread in LEGAL about the shooting in VA. for further affirmation.
But the point of the thread, and the article, is that significantly fewer people support "gun control", not more.:scratch:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just remember WHICH political party supports and upholds ENTITLEMENT!!!!!!!
I vow to maintain war on Liberals, and Progressives in both parties until self reliance and individual responsibility, become the law of the land once again.
As a HS teacher what I see just torments me!

John

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I think the more likely explanation for the shift is information being more readily available, and available from independent sources.
Back then, the Left Stream Media still had their monopoly on "truth" intact.
Not so anymore.
I definitely agree with the first part. But on the second part..I don't think the Media displayed much of a Left Wing bias. I can say that bc I'm 63. Whole other world back then. And if they did it would h would be almost Right Wing today.

I can't imagine that folks back then would vote to ban handguns. Not the 50's I knew.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I definitely agree with the first part. But on the second part..I don't think the Media displayed much of a Left Wing bias. I can say that bc I'm 63. Whole other world back then. And if they did it would h would be almost Right Wing today.

I can't imagine that folks back then would vote to ban handguns. Not the 50's I knew.
Hmm...I'll have to defer to you, then, 'cuz I most assuredly was not "there" yet.
Dang, yer oooold!:biglaugh:

I dunno, though, the '50's seem to have been a time when the sheeple could be stirred up to "do something".
Remember, that's the era that gave us the ludicrous "switchblade" ban that we're still saddled with.
And due to a fictional movie, no less!:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts

probably back then most of the people that participated in polls were urban types, unlike today when you can sit in a shack in Alaska and be as informed an anyone else.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
probably back then most of the people that participated in polls were urban types, unlike today when you can sit in a shack in Alaska and be as informed an anyone else.
That's kinda what I was trying to get at also.
Now, you get a more representative sample, as well, the respondents will likely be better informed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
yep and growing up as a kid back then.. I remember our front door was seldom locked..usually just the little flip latch on the screen door..the keys were always left in the ignition of our cars....there really wasn't a need for guns cept for Dad's hunting...a manly ensuance in a time before politically correct yuppy wimps beaten down by feminists became the accepted mold of manhood

Mom and Dad's weekly card game circle of friends included the chief of police and he was the source of the sawed off shotgun that hung on the den wall for many a year along with several hunting guns...it wasn't until the 70s and moving to a big city in jersey that Dad felt he should sell that shotgun as it was "not legal" to own...course by then...he was wishing he had it as some guy named Martin Luther King was touring and the local towns were rioting..something new in our family's experience....those are the days when Dad started carrying a pistol in his car, my uncle, a deputy, provided a saturday night special (confiscated) to my mom for her purse, and we started locking the front door.. I'd trade my gun and my video games and even the microwave (certainly the color TV) for life to return to those early days.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I remember when the media moved from reporting the news to trying to shape public opinion. It had begun on CBS, following the JFK assassination, with some "specials" on gun control. Then, in 1968, Walter Cronkite editoralized on the news, following the Tet Offensive in South Viet Nam. Never mind that we had just about wiped out both the VC and the NVA regulars who were in South Viet Nam. This was followed closely by Nixon/Watergate, and the media got the idea that there job was to tell people what to think instead of report the news. In the 50's there was a more clear line of demarkation between reporting and editorializing. Now, there seems to be no difference in the media.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was there in the fifties, we had liberals back then too, but back then we called them Communists . And we didn't elect them to be POTUS.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Another aspect of what might be going on here is that people today have seen the results of over 40 years of gun control. Gun control laws have been a spectacular failure at reducing violent crime rates, and it's becoming more obvious all the time.
Marty

·
Registered
114 Posts
In the 50s most people still trusted the government and trusted the police. Now, most people do not. This is probably the biggest reason for the change in attitude toward gun control.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts