1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never baught a pistol on the internet before and would like some suggestion from all of you that have done this. I have found a site called fearlessfreadys.com that has some great prices. Has anyone baught anything from them? This site is about $140.00 cheaper than the gun shops around here. All comments would be greatly appreciated.

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
To buy a gun over the Internet you must arrange the transfer through an FFL dealer in your area. They will need to send a copy of their FFL to the person you're buying from, who will then ship the gun to them. A lot of dealers won't do this for you, as they feel they are simply shouldering the burden of paperwork while you go buy from somewhere else. As a result, a lot of those who WILL do it for you will usually charge a hefty transfer fee.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

· Registered
118 Posts
I was going to buy a Kimber Custom II from http://www.impactguns.com/store/kimber_handguns.html . When I went to my local dealer and asked them if they would transfer it to me they told me they will charge 10% of the cost of the gun for fees = $669 + DROS fee. Since he was a Kimber Master Dealer anyway he said he'll sell me the gun for $650 even, after taxes and DROS that came out to about $720. So I paid about $30 or so more than what I would have paid for had I ordered the gun from Impact Guns. Big deal. I'm supporting a local gun business.

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
I don't blame the local dealers for wanting to charge fees to transfer firearms. They have to pay their employees and absord all the other costs of running a business, and now they have to deal with customers who saw some one-man outfit selling guns online for less money. Fortunately for me I have a local dealer who will let me do this sort of thing for a flat $35 fee, but then again I literally spend thousands a year there too.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

· Registered
25 Posts
I have bought several guns over the net. Never had a problem. It is important to find a good FFL holder in your area who is willing to help and ensure that you comply with all laws.

If you haven't committed to Fearless Freddy (who I have never heard of) you might want to try the guy I work with. He is a Kimber Master Dealer and can usually beat most anyone else's prices. His name is Tom Harris of Sporting Arms Company. Website is www.sportingarms.com. Not a real fancy site, but you can request a quote there. The guns are a secondary business for Tom. He does it out of his house so he has very little overhead. A very nice guy who really enjoys gun people and the business. If you decide to get a quote from him tell him I said Hi.

Mike Wilson

· Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Valkyrie.rider:
He is a Kimber Master Dealer and can usually beat most anyone else's prices. His name is Tom Harris of Sporting Arms Company.
I second Valkyrie's recommendation wholeheartedly. I'm only buying new guns from Tom Harris of Sporting Arms from now on. His prices are great and the service is first rate also. If you should contact him, please mention Tom P. sent you

I'm also fortunate to have a local FFL who will transfer for only $10 plus DROS fee. For a $600 Kimber transferred from Sporting Arms, I 'tipped' him $50. I think anything less would be 'taking advantage' of a partner and a Patriot.

· Registered
981 Posts
I think you will find most dealers happy to do your transfers if you are spending money with them. I have a deal with my dealer, i buy a bunch of ammo every transfer, works great as i dont feel im "giving" him $25 for a 20 second phone call. I would much rather buy $75-$100 worth of ammo

· Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by RMLamey:
I think you will find most dealers happy to do your transfers if you are spending money with them.

I'm inclined to agree. Mine did it for me for nothing, so, to show my appreciation, I bought a holster. He was happy and I saved a ton of money.

------------------
MT Shooter
-Born to hunt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.