1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Springfield Loaded had been looking less and less like a 1911 for quite some time. After deciding that I didn't need a beavertail grip safety, skelotonized hammer, Novak sights (well, I actually kind of liked those), forward cocking serrations (ugly!!!), and an extra chunky frame imported all the way from the exotic locale of Brazil, I traded my Springfield in for a new 1991 (couldn't resist those new rollmarks)!

I liked my Springfield at first, but after I bought a Delta Elite, it was apparent that the Springfield was vastly inferior in terms of reliability, looks, and feel to the Colt. I then knew it was time to get rid of it and get a new Colt.

It cost me $75 to make the switch. The wife talked them down from $100 and got them to throw in an extra mag.

One look, and I was sure I wanted it. One feel and I knew I had to have it.

So far, my experience with this gun has been better than with its predecessor. It feels much better, and I don't think that I will need to send it back because it shoots low!

I did experience a malfunction in which the last round got stuck in the ejection port while trying to chamber. I am hoping that it will smooth out after I break it in.

I still like my Delta Elite the best (it has not malfunctioned once), the new gun gives me a very good feeling.

The conversion is complete. This house... is clear.

--Todd Dow

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was in the trading mood this weekend, so I too got rid of a Springfield loaded, and picked up a new Colt lightweight commander and a Limited edition Ruger stainless Blackhawk with engraved unfluted cylinder and Bisley grip.

I can tell you that I am one happy camper.

·
Registered
698 Posts
tdow...you say you have a Delta Elite...tell me about it...I am considering one...likes/dislikes...what do you think of the 10mm cartridge...be specific...is it reliable/accurate/etc...talk to me...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi tdow, Those new roll marks sure get to you don't they? I made a similar trade not too long ago. I see you are in Olympia also so I can almost guess where you bought your new Colt. Congratulations on your purchase.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tdow

Let me see if I got this straight. Your wife talked the dealer down from your Springfield and $100, to the pistol and $75?

Pamper that woman, she is a keeper.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Sundance:
tdow...you say you have a Delta Elite...tell me about it...I am considering one...likes/dislikes...what do you think of the 10mm cartridge...be specific...is it reliable/accurate/etc...talk to me...

Sundance,
I got the Delta Elite used at a gun show in August. It is a fairly early production model. As far as I can tell, everything is original except for the recoil spring (24 lb.), recoil spring guide and plug, trigger, magazine catch, barrel link pin and mainspring housing pin retainer. I will replace the plastic mainspring housing and rubber wraparound grips at some point.

When I got the gun it was caked in grease. Almost like a coat of Vaseline. That was the only thing holding in the barrel link pin. The mainspring housing pin retainer was missing, and the magazine catch was corroded and in need of replacement.

The Delta Elite has never failed to feed, extract, or eject. I have been feeding it a steady diet of Cor Bon ammunition (180gr. hunting loads, 165 and 150 gr. JHP). The ammo is expensive, so I don't usually shoot a lot at once.

The last time I shot it, the slide failed to lock back on the last round. I figured it is because I had been carrying it with a loaded magazine for a while and the spring taken a set. Time to replace the springand invest in more mags, I guess.

The 10mm cartridge is very satisfying and gives me that extra bit of confidence that is oh-so important in today's world

Last time we went shooting in the woods, there were some giant pumpkins that had already been used for target practice, but still intact. With a 9mm 115 gr. FMJ, chunks would fly off, about 8-10 feet in the air. With a .45 230 gr FMJ, the chunks flew about the same, but the holes were larger and had a greater tendancy to knock big holes out as more rounds were shot in the same approximate location.

Four rounds of 10mm 150 gr JHP tore the top 1' off the pumkin in a crude reverse mohawk. Large (2-3") chunks would fly 15-20 feet in the air.

I love this gun. It goes bang every time. The only drawback I have found is the magazine that came with the gun will only hold 7 rounds. The 8th one will fit, but it will not go into the gun. Like I said, time for some new mags.

Get one. Shoot some large produce. You will be very happy. Enjoy.

--Todd Dow

·
Registered
183 Posts
tdow,

I think that's the coolest thing I've ever heard of, your wife helping you deal on your gun trades!! If I had a wife who did that, well I guess I'd need to get a wife first, I'd buy her a new pair of shoes, watch an episode of Opera with her, and let her take me to the opera. You lucky dog.

P.S.

Does your wife have any single friends????

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Better yet, does your wife have a single sister?
Traits like hers may run in the family.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
After having aquired a SA Loaded 45 in a Match, I requested that springfield Send me a 9mm and I would pay the difference. They told me to sell the gun when I got it and call them back and they would sell me a 9mm. When the gun arrived at the gun shop, I saw a Colt Commander in the elusive "XS" model. The shop traded me even up. The XS shoots one hole offhand at 15 yards. Thanks Springfield you pushed me right to Colt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts