1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a full size CQB that has about 500 rounds through it. After 300 rounds I sent it back to WC due to failure to feed issues with numerous hardball ammo. It hates Federal Champion ammo as it still has three point jams witht that ammo. I carry Wilson Combat 45 ACP Barnes 185 gr TAC-XP for my defenisve load and had no issues with that ammo after 40 rounds.

I want this to be my number one carry pistol but still have concerns on reliability. When I manually cycle the slide at a moderate rate to visually watch the feeding more times than not the gun needs to push feed to put the cartridge in battery. I understand the 1911 is designed to control feed the pistol. I have 4 WC ETM mags and 2 WC 47 magazines and they all seem to be 50/50 on controlled v. push feeding.

Is this a normal phenonmena based on the design of the WC magazines and how the extractor is set up or should I once again send it back to Wilson to be corrected? It is my favorite pistol but yet I am not at ease in trusting its reliability.

Your thoughts and input is appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
That is normal with any parallel lip magazine. Luckily, when a gun cycles it does it at a rapid rate..hand cycling doesn't tell you much.

Our service mags have a hybrid feed lip if you would like to try them to see the difference in feed dynamics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks WCR for the quick response. Your answer puts me at ease by confirming the magazines are functioning as they should. Thanks for shining some light on the different type of magazine lips. As you allude, when the slide is functioning at full speed, it seems to feed correctly with the extractor properly receiving the cartridge lip. Because my eyes don't have a slow motion mode, I will trust your expertise. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
So, you didn't say what your results were after sending it back to WC ... bet they took care of the issue, right?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
So, you didn't say what your results were after sending it back to WC ... bet they took care of the issue, right?
It doesn't sound like there was any malfunction occurring...so I'd be surprised if the gun got sent back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts