1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the #25 series full length guide rod, a new recoil spring and some shock buffs from Wilson for my CQB.

They arrrived sooner than I expected! :D

Installed them in the gun last night, can't wait to try it out.

Really not expecting too much of a difference.

I just did not like the idea of the polymer guide plug that was in there from the factory.

Thought I'd share....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
HJK:
Wilson use to install a polymer spring guide standard I believe a couple of years ago. This is no longer the case. However, these are still available from Wilson Combat for those that want them (Stock #R8P). They were designed to lessen the impact from the slide and frame recoil (same concept as their shok-buff), and were meant to be replaced or disposed of after so many fired rounds. Lot of the folks up a Wilson Combat still use them in their personal firearms.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are polymer and are only about 1 1/4" long. They were only used for about 2 years according to Wilson. Also, I was told that they were designed to be replaced every 2000 rounds when you replace your recoil spring.

I told the guy that I ordered the full length guide rod from that my CQB had the polymer guide plug AND a shock buffer installed. He indicated that the polymer guide plug was designed to be used instead of a shock buff.

I have never had a problem with the polymer guide plug or any problem at all for that matter.

I just wanted a full length metal guide rod.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thanks, guys. The polymer guide plug sounds like a good idea, at least for target work. I don't like messing with the Shock Buffs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the full-length guide & plug in my CQB. Before I did, I spoke to two reps at Wilson. One said the CQB was designed as a military gun, so the short guide rod allows easier field stripping without a bushing wrench. He also seemed to think it didn't really serve any purpose because the spring is trapped in a channel anyway except it might kink a bit in the middle. The second rep said it increases the life of the spring & it's a good idea if you don't mind adding a bit more weight to an already-heavy pistol. I haven't noticed any any accuracy difference.

·
Registered
108 Posts
mowerman

As long as you've never had a problem with your gun returning to battery after each successive round (as it doesn't sound as if you did have this problem) then having a polymer guide rod AND a shok buff should only help extend the life of the pistol (if you wanted to measure an extended life in a really small increment; really, Wilson Products will last a long long time before wearing out with or without a shok buff.)

I shoot a CQB with a standard GI length guide rod made of tooled steel, but I wouldn't have a problem with a polymer guide rod (except for having to replace it along with a recoil spring.)

I don't really buy the line about extending the life of a recoil spring that some reps at Wilson may use, so I guess I'm curious about why you would elect to go with a full length guide rod? Do you notice any reduction in recoil or muzzle flip?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I really did not notice any difference at all.

Like I said in my post I just wanted a full length guide rod as opposed to the polymer guide plug that was not full length.

I have no "logical" reason, I just wanted it, I had the $$, I got it.

I'm keeping a very close watch on the areas of the frame that might come in contact with the guide rod. If I see ANY increase in wear, I'll go back to the guide plug. Like I said I never had any functionality issues with the plug I just wanted to try a guide rod. So I have no problems going back to it.

I'm a NEWB to 1911's, in fact this is my first 1911, I just wanted to play with it. :D

·
Registered
721 Posts
mowerman said:

I have no "logical" reason, I just wanted it, I had the $$, I got it.

That is all the reason you need. As long as it suits you is all that matters.

The debate goes on regarding FLGR vs Standard GR. I prefer the short ones myself and see no need to change but... I have used the FLGRs with no problems either.

Good luck with your new blaster and have fun!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

It's been a really fun gun to own and shoot.

It was a bit more $$ than I would have liked to spend when I did, but I don't regret it a bit.

It's something else!

I'm very seriously considering a Stealth right now..........

I think I've got the bug.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Steel Short Rod...

My CQB came with a polymer short plug too, and it had a bit of damage (the base was chewed up a bit). I wanted to stay true to the design, so I called Wilson and they shot a steel GI-length short rod out to me straight away. It's worked great in my CQB ever since, about 10,000 rounds worth.

Just a thought for those that might not want polymer, but don't want to mess with the FLGR issues, either. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

1 - 11 of 11 Posts