1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of faithfull Range Service with my S&W 4505 .45 -----------I have the 1911 BUG -----BAD!

Anyone have any Experience with the PX9104L and/or the Lightweight Alloy Frames???? I like the loaded series and will probably shoot my New 1911 once I purchase 4-6 times a year. I know that is sad but just too busy with work, wife, & 2 kids........b4 kids when in my early 20's I was at the range at least once a week.

I was looking at the Full Size Park PX9109L cause I like the idea of Night Sights........but have seen a few of the Lightweight Duo-Tone PX9104L's that come with NS for actually a few bucks less. What do you think?

· Registered
210 Posts
I have both and I'm happy with them. The Lightweight is my new CCW 2,500 + rounds and no problems. The Full Size Park PX9109L I've had a lot longer about 8,000 rounds and no problems. I was concerned about the alloy frame holding up so I called Springfield to make sure the frame was covered under there lifetime warranty for wear and cracking and was told it's covered.

See my range report here:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=116918

· Registered
948 Posts
I have both of those as well. My parked+ns fullsize shoots 4" low at 15 yards (and I am positive it isn't my shooting), and my lightweight bi-tone+ns double feeds A LOT and shreds my brass. By "A LOT" I mean once every couple of magazines before I worked on it, and once every 50 or 100 rounds after I worked on it and put a WAY too heavy of recoil spring in it. I'm so upset about those guns. I have the WORST luck. I even have 1000 rounds through the lightweight one, I've tried messing with the extractor and the slide stop lug (extractor was REALLY REALLY tight and the slide stop lug was sticking too far into the way of the rounds coming up from the magazine).

I shipped both of the guns to Springfield Armory this morning.

I feel like NEVER buying another 1911 that costs less than $1000 ever again. I mean - I don't expect a $700 gun to be a tackdriver out of the box, but damnit it should at least WORK.

PS. That having been said, those guns FEEL great with alumagrips on them. IF they get working, I will fit myself a new safety (get rid of the ambi) and get a trigger job done. That will increase the fun!

· Registered
114 Posts
I've got one of the older 1911 Night Lights that was a special run with Lew Horton. It was a precursor to the Mil Spec models but with an aluminum frame. It's been modified quite abit but it can be equated to one of the newer light weight ones. I forget the round count but it's probably in the neighborhood of 4000-5000. I don't shoot it as much as my other 1911s but it has been extremely reliable with everything that I fed it. The recoil is less than what you would expect from a lighter gun and after shooting it a while, you'll be very used to it. I really don't notice a difference between my full weight 1911s and this one unless I am shooting +Ps.

· Registered
948 Posts
AHHH!!! WHY won't mine work? :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
*rips clothes*
*tears hair*
*rubs dirt on body*

(Sorry, I'm really depressed about it. I was almost tempted to ask SA to send me A NEW GUN. I don't want it to be "fixed" by them and still shred brass and come back shooting 4" low.)

· Registered
841 Posts
Dont let your 4505 get away from you.
It has some collectors appeal since there
were not a large number of them made.

My PX9104L replaced my 4506. The difference
in weight is a WONDERFUL thing if you wear it
9 hours a day.

Mine had some breakin headaches. It finally got with
the program after about 400 rounds. I also bought
some tripp magazines. (very nice people to talk to on the phone)
All my magazines work now though.
I have about 800 rounds thru it.
The only gripe I still have about it is the two piece
recoil rod starts unscrewing after about 75 rounds.
I am going to change it out shortly, I also dont like
having to have a allen wrench to take the gun apart.
Mine came to about $800.00 on the credit card earlier
this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.