1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey,

took a brand new PX9109L to the range today after field stripping and lightly lubing it.

100 rds of winch. white box. no failures to fire, eject lock open on last round or anything else. it was flawless. sights were dead on. great pistol.

now, (ahem) reassembly. after i took it apart the first time to check out the internals and to lube it, i had to bring it to a friend who is also a gunsmith, it's how he makes his living.

after the mandatory ribbing, i watched him reassemble it. i will admit, i watched him do it but i was thinking about shooting it while he reassembled it and didn't pay close attention. it took him less than a minute. i should have asked him to slow down. he said it takes him "a little longer" with his eyes closed.

anyway, went to the range, had a find afternoon came home and disassembled and cleaned it.

and i'll be goddammed if i can reassemble it. i have the manual which essentially states to do everthing in reverse order of the disassemble to reassemble. thank you, manual

how is the barrel link situated for reassembly. does it lie flat with slide stop pin hole facing the muzzle or is it straight up and down or should it lie with slide stop pin hole facing back towards the trigger?

how do you do the final step(s) of guide rod bushing and barrel bushing and tightening the guide rod down? it feels like i need at least three hands, maybe four to do this and even then i'm confused on exactly what to do and when. i can't figure the sequence. it's a two piece guide rod but the longer half is inserted down the recoil spring at the end, yes? (i'm starting to get pissed off again just thinking of fumbling around with it again).

is there a step by step reassembly guide here somewhere that is illustrated?

thanks,

mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the same model, congratulations. On reassembly, slide the barrel in first, the link has to be flat to clear, then install the barrel bushing and rotate it 90 degrees CW (to clear the spring later ). Then install the big end of the guide rod with tight end of the recoil spring pushed snug against the flange (a plastic shock buffer would go between if you want one ), the assembly lays against the barrel and you can slide it towards the muzzle. Hold the slide assembly upside down and slip the frame into the guides, slide the frame until you see the barrel link in the hole. Lay the pistol on it's side, the barrel has to be fully retracted in the slide and pushed up into the locking lugs of the slide, the barrel link has to hang down, use a small pin punch to align it , slide the frame until it all lines up with the hole, then push the slide stop almost all the way in, then side the frame to where the slide stop lines up with the little crescent cutout. If you polish the bevelled end of the slide stop, you can push the stop in and it will push in the little plunger and drop in. The next step is to push the slide forward and insert the spring plug, hold it below flush and rotate the barrel bushing back and it will pop into it's recess, insert the second half of the guide rod and tighten.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
First chance you get discard the full length recoil spring guide and never use a plastic shok-buffer in the pistol.

Order a standard Government Model recoil spring guide and muzzle plug. It'll drop in.

The guide you have now accomplishes two things: (1) makes field stripping and reassembly a PITA, and (2) makes the pistol heavier. :)

-- Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.