1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a NIB PX9151L. My first SA. Having an NM serial number, I expected a pretty good assembly job on the gun. Unfortunately, the Integral Locking System doesn't work. It is so stiff that both of the supplied keys have broken trying to just turn the lock. So, with zero rounds fired it is headed back to Springfield. A couple of questions for the more experienced SA owners.......

Has anyone had a similar problem with the ILS?

Given that it will run about fifty dollars to send an unfired gun back for repair, how does one get reimbursement for shipping?

:grumble:

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Why would sent the entire pistol to anyone to fix one part?

Most folks discard the ILS anyway and fit a standard mainspring housing or at least replace the innards of the ILS housing with standard detent, spring, cap, and cap pin.

If you insist on keeping the ILS do this.

1. Get a big rubber band and secure the grip safety pressed forward. This will keep the sear spring in place while the MSH is out.

2. Drive out the MSH retaining pin. Tape it to the pistol and put the pistol away.

3. Send the MSH to Springfield for repair or replacement. Cost you maybe 50¢ for postage.

"Reassembly is the reverse of the above."

If you don't want the pistol down for a couple of weeks, or want to shoot while the ILS is being repaired purchase a new mainspring housing, detent, mainspring, cap, and cap pin at the local gun store. Standard M1911 Government Model parts.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Great idea. I suspect I will ditch the ILS in the long run anyway.

I did take it out to the range about an hour ago just to look for any other problems. Put about 150 rounds through it with no malfunctions whatsoever. And the sights are dead on target at 10 yards. From a bench rest, 21 consecutive rounds in the 10 ring.

Net, I'm not sending it back. I'll have them send me a few more ILS keys(just in case the others were bad stampings). If that doesn't work, the ILS is history.

·
Administrator
13,303 Posts
Welcome to the forum

and sorry you had trouble .

I wouldn't be surprised if a forum member had an ILS take-off msh laying about . Maybe even send it to you for the cost of shipping ? If I had one , I'd send it your way :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
The problem is most likely the length of the hammer strut. If it isn't the right length, the mainspring cap won't match up with the detent for the lock. I had Springfield Custom do a trigger job with SI tool steel parts and the ILS didn't work when I got it back. I had to shorten the strut a little to get it to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts