1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at these two and after doing a search, learned that the 54 has a single sided thumb safety in comparison to the 51 with the ambi safety. On the SA website and drop down list, the specs list the 54 with a forged steel parkerized frame and slide unlike the 51 with the forged stainless steel frame and slide. So am I to understand that the 54 is not stainless steel slide and frame? Then what do they mean by "Black Stainless Steel" on the 54?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Interesting question. I`m interested in hearing the answer too. Retail there is only one dollar difference. Overview on the SA website says all loadeds come with ambi safety yet on gunbroker I see one 54 that clearly has only single safety and one that looks like it could be an ambi.
I bought the 9109 and love it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There are several diffences between the two "Black Stainless" models, but both are on stainless frame/slide pistols. One has a single sided standard thumb safety, fixed non'night sights (both unusual for a "loaded" model) and rubber grips. The other adds adjustable night sights, a magwell, ambi safety, and G10 grips to the package.

I believe the 9151 is the standard 5" Parked loaded model? It uses a carbon steel frame/slide that has of course been parkerized. It will also feature fixed night sights, ambi safety, and wood grips. Just remember that the "basic" black stainless model is not truly a "loaded" in that is lacks a few features that have come to be accepted as standard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
glocker1911 said:
...I believe the 9151 is the standard 5" Parked loaded model? It uses a carbon steel frame/slide that has of course been parkerized. It will also feature fixed night sights, ambi safety, and wood grips. Just remember that the "basic" black stainless model is not truly a "loaded" in that is lacks a few features that have come to be accepted as standard.
According to their website, the 9151 is the one that is forged stainless steel (frame and slide). They describe the '54 as "forged steel parkerized". Then what part of "Black Stainless" is stainless? That's where I'm confused.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The black stainless model is just a forged stainless steel pistol with black teflon on the rounds and with the smaller components black (don't know if they're parkerized or black anodized or teflon-coated or what).

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Well lets see if we can clear this up a bit. I have both models --- The current model are black SS target as stated with SS frame and slide with bomar style night sights - ambi saftey and magwell - FLGR

The blk SS tactical is fixed novak style sights - left side only thumb safety, no mag well, FLGR rubber grips.

Same SS frame and Slide and finish on the rounds. The difference is in the accessary finish appointments.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Hitman --

What function are you looking for in this pistol? Is this going to be a safe queen and merely fondled from time to time? Is this going to be a carry pistol, or a training pistol to compliment your carry pistol? You just taking this to the range a couple of times a year and shooting cans?

Black stainless is a two-tone cosmetic finish that adds "bling" and nothing more to the pistol. Forged stainless steel or forged ordinary steel are both up to any task expected of these pistols. My carry pistols are forged stainless steel because they resist the environment better in my opinion. My practice pistols are just Parkerized steel.

None of my pistols have adjustable sights as they're all intended to be weapons. None have a safety lever on the right side. All have tritiuim night sights. All have thin grips. All have Novak sights (or copies). None have a FLGR. None have a magazine funnel. The variations are endless. But pick one that works best for you and stick to it. My standard is KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. ;)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It won't be a safe queen. It will be shot alot. I got impatient with waiting for replies and received an email from Springfield Armory that answered my concerns. Both are forged stainless steel frame and slide. That's why I was concerned with the 9154. The ambi thumb safety is not necessary for my application. I placed an order for the 9154 yesterday.

Chuck S: We think alike:rock: None of my pistols have magazine funnels, target sights and a safety lever on right side. Funny you mentioned the KISS principle because it's a maxim I try to adhere to. The appearance of the finish caught my eye on the website and I was almost ready to order the 9151 and had little knowledge of this "black stainless" finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts