1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my first revolver soon. I was to get a stainless GP100 with 4" barrel. I was going to send it of to Weigand or Cylinder and Slide and get it slicked up a little.

While at the gun shop yesterday, I saw a blue Python with 4" tube. Seems to be in good shape. Some holster-wear on barrel and end of cylinder. No box, but some kind of holster is included. On consignment fo $575, seems like a good price right? The only problem is, I don't know much about wheelguns, so I'm having a hard time accessing it's condition.

I have shot my buddies Python, it sure is a sweet shooter.

What do ya'll think? Python or GP100?

Oh yeah, I will use this as both range gun and nightstand gun.

[This message has been edited by Gogiants (edited 11-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gogiants (edited 11-19-2001).]

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a six inch blued Python and a two inch stainless Ruger. Both are quality guns. I'm partial to Colts. Stainless will not need as much care if you are doing heavy duty. That Royal Blue sure is purty.

Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 6" Royal Blue Python which is my favorite handgun.They are the Cadillac of .357's. I don't own a Ruger wheelgun. I do have a government model stainless MKII that shoots like a rifle. Ruger's are rugged extreme use guns. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 4" Stainless GP-100 and just love the crap out of it. Excellent fit & finish, and built like a brick Porta-Potty! I'm convinced this gun will outlive me and several subsequent owners.

Has some of the best grips I've ever seen on a factory wheelgun. I put the Kimber Meprolite tritium sights on it (the original black sights just about dissapeared aginst any dark target, even in moderate light), and it's now my main home defense gun.

Price is right, too, at around $375, plus sights.

·
Registered
79 Posts
shot both, bought the GP100, nothing against the Python, but lordy that Ruger is a great gun...full lug 4", just heaven... get it. Put some pachmayrs on it, it's an awesome gun

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Though Python is the cadilac of wheel guns, it just doesn't fit my hand comfortably. I own 3 GP-100s to date and really love them all, especially with the factory grips. I have one as a carry gun, another one with scope and the last one is at my smith for PPC gun modifications.

IIRC, colt cylinder moves from left to right when firing, while the others move from right to left. At any rate, I think you will be happy with either of them.

66 Posts
Just use your knowledge about semi auto or whatever knowledge you have. On accessing the condition of the Python. I've never seen one that low priced. No Blackhawk could compete with the dual action single of a Python in a worst vs. best case. Though I do own a MKII aniversery. I don't have to tell the story again do I? Most .22 rifles don't come close. Quality is'nt the question with either. Both are phenomenal!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The Python is considered the best wheelgun ever made. The Ruger is also a fine handgun, but I suspect that if you invest a lot of money by sending the Ruger to a pistolsmith, you will end up with a fine handgun, but if you ever decide to get rid of it, it will still be a Ruger. In my experience, great gun, strongest action on the market, but not good trading material.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Isn't there quite a price difference? If not, the choice is easy - go with the Python. Many people with smaller hands seem to like Ruger grips however.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I look at it this way.

A Python is almost a collectors item in stock condition. While the Ruger is a damn fine weapon and something I would trust my life to. When I think of the wheelgun I'd most like to own, Ruger isn't at the top of the list. Python is.

I'd get the Python. I've never heard anyone say they were sorry they got the nicer pistol.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Depends on what you will be using the gun for. If it's a range gun, then get the python, and don't look back. If it is to be a carry gun or a truck/boat gun, get the ruger so you (and all of your friends) won't cringe at every ding you put into it. For saving your life I bet they are both equally good, but those python triggers are hella sweet for accuracy and the gun is a classic. The good thing is that if you get the python now and just shoot .38s through it for a few months, you will have saved enough to get the Ruger later

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
FWIW,, Best showing I ever saw at an indoor range(not compitition), was an individual shooting all night( really , about 2 hours) at one target, into the original bullseye hole about the size of a half-dollar, at 25 ft. This guy must have put easily 200+ rounds through that hole. Not one flyer! Gun?? Python. I was impressed!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Had a Ruger GP-100. Great revolver. I would recommend this to anyone.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you want a gun for match grade accuracy choose the colt. If you want ROCK solid reliability and damn good accuracy go with the RUGER GP-100.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Neither.... get a real wheelgun: S&W 686 stainless .357 and don't look back.

Now donning the flame proof suit!

NAA

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Python, hands down. This is the finest revolver out there. Get it, shoot it keep it whatever, at that price it is well worth it. My dad and I bought a Python a few years back and it is great. 4" and had some holster wear, I can not say enough about them. If you let it slide you may not ever find another original Python, especially at that price. You WILL be able to get the Ruger though.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found the Python 4" grip to be too large for me. I bought a COLT GOLD CUP, and always wondered why I didn't like the Python. The real reason was too many holes to clean..The cleaning of a revolver was a chore for me.I now only own one revolver,and thats for my wife.She shoots it sparingly so I don't have to clean it much.

·
Registered
109 Posts
"Neither.... get a real wheelgun: S&W 686 stainless .357 and don't look back!"

OK, NAA, how about "get a real wheelgun: an Anaconda in .45!"

Never could like a .357 mag.
Too much boom for my business.
If I want that kind of fun, then it's a .454!

[ON TOPIC]
Are not the Pythons prone to small-parts breakage (or at least more so) being a somewhat target gun, with lots a little levers and springs and things inside 'er?

youngun

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Youngun.... nothing wrong with a good .357! Still the best one shot stopper out there. Nothing like an 158 grain JHP to do the job!

Wish I still had my S&W 686, but do have a Model 19 (4") that will do just the same. My favourite wheelgun still is my tuned S&W Model 57 (6") in .41 Magnum. Now that's a handfull!

I've always thought Colt should stick to autos and S&W to wheelguns... true to my signature, though, 1911's are still king!

Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts