1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I ran across an Eclipse a few weeks ago and fell in love. Being overly analytical by nature, I figured I'd see what the folks here were saying before I plunked down my 900 bucks.

I've heard some praise, read about the night sights burning out (planned to change them eventually anyway), etc. I'm still thinking about picking one up - BUT - I've seen a few posts about the finish not holding up. Now thats a deal breaker for me. The finish is what got me interested in the first place.

So, any comments about the durability of the finish??? Good, bad, whatever.

Rick

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rick,
I just bought a Custom Eclipse. I've read that the finish is very delicate!!! I have two other Kimbers that will see the majority of carry use so I'm not too concerned about the Eclipse's finish yet. I learned very quickly not to use Kydex holsters on delicate finishes. Even not so delicate ones. I picked up a Galco belt slide that is suede lined and that'll be what the Eclipse rests in when carrying. I bought it on a whim but after finding out the frame is Stainless Steel, and should last forever, I'll be passing this one on to my grandson when he's old enough. That is, if we can still do that by then.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes with use, the black oxide finish will wear in contact areas. But IMO that just adds character to the weapon. My Eclipse has kind of a mottled effect.

At Gunsight, Thunder Ranch etc. etc. most of the instructors use blued guns that the blueing is worn thru in a lot of areas. Hell I thought most of the guys were using stainless guns.

The problem with stainless steel is that it doesn't want to hold an applied finish. This is due to the chemistry of the metal and most finishes.

About the best surface treatment I have found for stainless steel is to bead blast and/or polish to preference and then passivate. The pasivation process also removes any surface carbon elements which will deter surface discoloration, oxidation and rust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a custom Eclipse and the black oxide is definitely delicate. There does not seem to be anything that will touch it up either. other than that I think it is the best buy in Kimber's product line. Mine has worked perfectly so far. I've decided that when the finish gets really bad I'll probably just have it hard chromed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had the Pro Eclipse II for about 3 months now. I love it, and the finish is fine even in my kydex rig ( www.comp-tac.com ) ghurka. I think that the only person I have heard from who has had problems with the finish in a kydex holster was using a Fobus paddle. Fobus are fine and perfectly serviceable for the money, but they rely on the molding in the trigger bow for retention. They are injection molded so they are not going to fit as well as a hand folded kydex holster. The only things I can complain about are the mainspring housing and the grip safety, which I plan to replace with Ed Brown parts. Everything else will have to break first before I replace it. The magazine that Kimber provides is not very easy to handle quickly, so I switched to Wilson. The low profile base pad gives me just enough extra material to easily seat the mag, but doesn't compromise concealability. Great gun, couldn't be happier.

[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have one and two friends have one. WE LOVE them, Very accurate. I havn't seen any problem with the finish. I'd buy another one in a heart beat if I had the money..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had mine 3 months it looks prety rough . The finish is worn through on the grip safty and on the bottem of the triger gard ,in its defense i shoot at least 200 rounds through it a week. Has any one talked to kimber about it ?

------------------

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I'm still undecided but leaning toward buying it regardless.

If anyone cares to quantify the finish durability - what would you give it on a scale of 1-10? 10 being the best. Just curious...

Originally posted by B.K.Robison:
Has any one talked to kimber about it ?

B.K., I toyed with the idea of e-mailing Kimber, but was holding off until I got a feel for how many people had issues.

Rick

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was a little concerned about the finish too. It does seem a little delicate. For the parts that have the finish on them, I am going to let it ride until I just don't like it anymore and then get Rocky Mountain Arms to put a dull black Bearcoat on those parts that had the black finish. Should run about 50-70 bucks but that one will last forever (almost).

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO http://www.angelfire.com/co3/markcolo/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts