1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How was Colt quality in 1953? I was 3.

I'm looking at a Commander chambered in .38 Super, SN = 26xxxLW.

I wasn't looking for one of these, it just sort of happened. I don't have any real use for this pistol, but want it anyway. Polished blue flats and matte blue on the top and bottom. The stocks are checkered brown plastic and the magazine appears to be original.

Did I mention that it appears to be unfired?

There isn't the first blemish on the magazine follower, feed ramp or barrel. The downside: no papers, and the box is little ragged around the edges, but the brown paper in the box and the bore brush appear to be the same age as the gun.

So what was the quality in 1953?
Comments on old LW .38 Super's?
Would you shoot it?

Thanks,

John

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
The quality in those days was first-rate, perhaps even better than it is now. The only possible problem would lie in the fact that aluminum alloys were not as advanced back then as they are now, so the potential long-term durability of the alloy frame isn't as good. Even so, it should hold up quite well if you take good care of it.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I did'nt live until 1969 so I have no idea of quality of products and life in 1953. But I know the books say it was pretty good in America after WWII. And little attention was paid to Korian war. The economy was stong for a few years. The food was great. The clothing was wierd. And the Colt Commander LW in 1953 fired 45ACP. The blueing, fit and quality would surpass todays 1911's by 1/2 again I think. Better managed and military contracts would guarantee this. See any company dealing with government contracts goes to lengths to keep them. They pay a high price for their everything.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I still haven't decided. If they'd knock another $150 off the original asking price...

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too found a 38 super LW Colt, from 1951, when I was not looking for one. Serial number 20XXXLW. It was in about 95% condition, all original. It has functioned 100%. Due to the concern of the frame material I had mine hard chromed by Accurate Plating in Florida. They did a super job with that personal touch where they called me twice to ensure they did what I wanted. This Colt is now my favorite carry gun.
Steve

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
sconn you got a 1951 and got it hard chromed. OK welcome to the pretentious world of makebelieve. That is the sadest story i've heard today. I would'nt give you $50 for your chrome gun. Hows that for makebelieve.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
My point was that JohnBT is concerned about the quality of Colt. In 1953 and sconn said he thought it was'nt up to his standards. He had it hard chromed. I am a collector of original Colt's not made over and butchered Colts. So I am not trying to insult or endear, I am just being myself. Though it is a pretentious me I guess.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know where you are coming from Redzone, I would probably never refinish a classic Colt or just about anything else, but on the other hand, these guns were manufactured to be used and taking a classic pistol and making it serviceable for today says a lot about its quality and longevity and ads to it's heritage. You won't see anyone carrying a '51 Kimber with as much pride.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
OK Greg G, I see your point. But with the time loss and money spent you could spend 2 or 3 hundred more. And have the modern techno 1911 you want. Without defaceing a real ageing Colt 1911. Its like fine wine, would you buy a 1916 vintage on the rocks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts